speedfrk

.060 Over
I've owned my 08 R3 Classic since June. It only had 13,xxx miles on it when I bought it and was in showroom new condition. The guy I bought it from had all service records since new performed at the dealership he bought it from who is the same dealership I do business with. Now it's November with 15,xxx miles and I have two issues with my R3. The worst is an oil leak from somewhere on the back of the engine. I noticed it when I came back from a ride today when I was wipping it down. It was on the exhaust and I followed it up the back of the engine about 3/4 of the way up and then lost it. I don't know the source yet, but I called Jerry at the shop and he stated that to date they have had no oil leaks on any R3's. He also said that aside from an oil sending unit and the valve cover gasket that there really isn't anywhere else an oil leak should be coming from on the rear of the engine. The other issue which is minor is an intermittent coolant leak coming from the water pump cover. Jerry has seen two of these and usually a new o-ring fixes the problem. I'm going to run it by the shop next Saturday to get a clue where the oil leak is coming from and get an estimate for repairs(might have to wait until January as Christmas with the family comes first). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Well jerry is right the only spot on the back could be the oil sending unit which is easy to chek or the valve cover gasket especially if they did a shim check in the last 5000, miles or so. If not then you will see the leak stop at the seam where the head gasket is. triumph had some that developed the leak (oil only not compression) prior to the head gasket change they made. (improved seling ares notthat anything was wrong with the original on as my 05 has 37,000 miles on it with no leak) There has bben others 07 and 08 plus some newer that developed it. Not a hard one to do as you do not have to pull the engine. Don't freak out even if it is it is a minor problem not a compression activated one.
where you located at?
If you don't mind me asking!!

My 08 std had a oilleak from the head gasket where the oil galley goes up to the oil presure sender unit (at back of motor) it was replaced under warranty I was told at the time there had been some faulty head gasket used in 07-08 might be worth a try to get them to replace under Warranty because despite what your dealer said it was a recognised issue

My 08 std had a oilleak from the head gasket where the oil galley goes up to the oil presure sender unit (at back of motor) it was replaced under warranty I was told at the time there had been some faulty head gasket used in 07-08 might be worth a try to get them to replace under Warranty because despite what your dealer said it was a recognised issue
don't freek out yet check the other possibilities. could be if someone did the valve shim clearance check they did not order a new gasket or they installit wrong I did that on mine after the rebuild and freeked out for nothing.

Is that you Blaine ?????

I don't freak out. I'm just bumbed out. It's not a make, or break situation for the bike and I. The fact that the leak disappears 3/4 of the way up makes me fear it will be the head gasket. I like to hope for the best, but plan on the worst. That way I'm really happy when it's less than the worst situation. I'll know come Saturday. If it's the head gasket and it's my dime(which I belive it will be given the bikes age and not being the original owner) I wonder how much a head gasket change is going to cost me? It sounds expensive. To who asked where i was located I'm in SE Virginia.

I don't freak out. I'm just bumbed out. It's not a make, or break situation for the bike and I. The fact that the leak disappears 3/4 of the way up makes me fear it will be the head gasket. I like to hope for the best, but plan on the worst. That way I'm really happy when it's less than the worst situation. I'll know come Saturday. If it's the head gasket and it's my dime(which I belive it will be given the bikes age and not being the original owner) I wonder how much a head gasket change is going to cost me? It sounds expensive. To who asked where i was located I'm in SE Virginia.

AH south east Va. I own a house in Norfolk. If your not going to do it yourself. I bet Brian at D&D Triumph In Norfolk can get her done for you. I think he is the only Triumph Dealer in the area.

It's funny you mention Brian and D&D. That is where the original owner bought this R3 from and had it serviced there exclusively and hit every mark like clockwork. Jerry who I mention in my post works for Brian and is his head mechanic. I have no doubt in D&D's ability to resolve the problem. I find out where the source is tomarrow morning from Jerry and go from there.

It's funny you mention Brian and D&D. That is where the original owner bought this R3 from and had it serviced there exclusively and hit every mark like clockwork. Jerry who I mention in my post works for Brian and is his head mechanic. I have no doubt in D&D's ability to resolve the problem. I find out where the source is tomarrow morning from Jerry and go from there.

Yes Jerry has worked on my beast before doing the 20 k update. Infact I am modifying a Tune ecu map for a Roadster they are tuning. I stop there every year when I am in town. Just Like I always go down to the beach to eat at the Sea Side Raw bar. They have the best Oysters Rockafeller I have ever ate. Been eating there since the 80's
Good people I wish I never had to transfer away and hope to permanently get back there when I retire.

Well I now know what's not leaking, but still don't know what is/was leaking. It's not the valve cover gasket, or the oil sending unit. Together we thought that maybe the check valve for the secondary oil pump wasn't pumping up the oil tank and was giving a false low oil indication when it was actually full. We thought that due to the dipstick read low this morning before I left and I topped it off with about a half a quart. When I got to the shop it was a half a quart too full and the vent tube was wet. If you dump the oil in the pan and you get a full 4.5 quarts the check valve isn't working. Jerry dumped the oil, cleaned out the vent tube, and checked the air box for oil. I forget the number, but there was only the amount of oil in the pan that was sppossed to be and the air box was dry. Jerry also loosened and retorqued an oil plug in the back of the engine on the right side(he didn't replace the crush washer because he didn't have one). A new oil filter was installed with fresh oil and Jerry said to keep an eye everything. If it's still leaking it's either the head gasket, or the gasket that is on the back of the engine case. If it's the rear gasket the engine will have to come out. No matter what the source is it's going to be expensive and will have to wait until 2013. I guess the newness has worn off and now reality has set in. I know crap happens, but I often feel like I'm a magnet for stuff going wrong with any toy I own.

Back