Oil change frequency???

Why bother?

10'000 miles or 16'000 K's. Whatever oil Triumph recommends and/or the dealer pours into the tank. I no longer see any point in interim oil changes. And, @ 20'000 miles, my Rocket burns no oil at all. Jamie:)

You might consider changing your filter more often than every 10k.

I don't believe that filter technology has kept pace with oil technology.

When I had my Roadstar I was using AMSOIL which I could go out to 10k between changes, but I still changed the oil filter every 3k. Just pulling the filter did cause some "leakage" but it was minimal, and so, I would 'top off' the oil when I finished changing the filter.

IMHO, it's cheap insurance.

10'000 miles or 16'000 K's. Whatever oil Triumph recommends and/or the dealer pours into the tank. I no longer see any point in interim oil changes. And, @ 20'000 miles, my Rocket burns no oil at all. Jamie:)
--I would agree with Jamie If the trans. was separate from the engine,but every time you shift a little sloppy you've got microscopic particles from the clutch and trans being pumped through your engine.And I have stock in oil.. TaHa. oh and I don't smoke anymore so I can afford to change every 1000 miles.Spikes insides are as clean as his outsides..I also believe you should change before storing for winter..Filters take out particals but not acids from the combustion process that rise to the surface and etch things... Use more oil...Jack

4 to 5 K or at least once a year. I meant to do it last fall (Like Crazy Jack said) but I got too liquored up and didn't get it done so I am going to do it soon... I have the stuff sitting here, I just need to do it :eek:

Ditto, I take it to the dealer for the major services, but split the difference on the oil changes and DIY. I did the same with my speed triple. You could really tell a difference in the tranny after an oil change on that bike.

Fuel for the fire...

Okay, I just want to know what filters everyone is using, except Pianoman who we know has a Scotts. What fits under the chrome cover and what don't.

I'm going for LOW mileage. My T100 has 2800 big ones in 4 years, lets see, that's 700 a year. That's serious riding. I change the oil in the T100 every fall whether it gets ridden or not, and the filter too. I'm like Pig9r. Oil is cheap, besides Jack needs the dividend. I've always been a fan of clean oil over the colder non riding months. The by products of combustion can do nasty things to the inside of a motor. Besides, I re-use the old high buck synthetic oil in my lawnmowers. Kohlers don't know any different. Neither do Briggs and Stratton.....When it comes out of the mowers, it's done.

By the way, I'm using 5-40 Rotella Synthetic in the T100, my cars, my pickup and my farm tractors. 20 bucks a gallon at Tough ****te Charlies.:D

Every 10k for me. More frequent changes will give a psychological advantage but I dought if there is any noticeable difference in wear over, say, a 100 or 200 thousand miles with a 5k change interval. .

Then again, when you go to sell the bike it might help a bit if you can show the potential buyer you are an oil change fanatic.

I use 10/40 amsoil.

I have an opinion about it both ways, if they say 10,000 miles then who am I to argue. They will pay for the warranty work so,"what me worry"?? Now on the other hand I ride the living dog stuffing out of it and have plans of keeping it for the duration or until the 08' come out. So I do it at 5K. Dink has seen a picture of it and remarked it looked like a ******and had a narrower rear tire to accommodate the Bags.:eek:

Back