Oil change frequency???

Congratulations! Does that mean you've not changed the oil in 20k miles.:eek:

You pullin' me leg:confused: :) I changed once after the run-in period, then at 10'000 miles and I'll change again at 20'000 miles next week. I was just trying to say that interim oil changes, IMO, might just be a waste of oil... and thus of time and money. Some folks get some sort of psychological satisfaction out of changing oil more often than recommended . I personally don't. And, yes, my Rocket is extremely frugal in terms of oil consumption. Best wishes. Jamie;)

A couple of things...

Jamie:
When you do an oil change on your cage or your bike or lawn mower what do you do with the used oil? I'm presuming that your environmental regulations are more stringently enforced than ours are (there are still folks around me that use, used motor oil for dirt road dust control:eek: ) and is the oil more costly to buy? I also presume that your gasoline is more expensive and that you purchase liquids in metric measures?

Secondly: I still haven't got a reply to alternate filters that will fit under the chrome slip over cover other than the overpriced OEM filter.

Finally: Anyone of the Scott's filter users going to do an in-service update or is the performance so dismal you aren't saying anything??

A couple of things...

Jamie:
When you do an oil change on your cage or your bike or lawn mower what do you do with the used oil? I'm presuming that your environmental regulations are more stringently enforced than ours are (there are still folks around me that use, used motor oil for dirt road dust control:eek: ) and is the oil more costly to buy? I also presume that your gasoline is more expensive and that you purchase liquids in metric measures?

Right on, Flip. Used oil just cannot be thrown away. It needs to be brought back preferably in the original container, to the original seller (bike dealer, gas-station, etc. ) who in turn has to bring it to a local authority for environment-compatible recycling or disposal. There's a whole catalogue of fines for non-compliance. And, incidentally, that tends to limit do-it-yourself maintenance practices.

Same for used tires, BTW. The Geneva county wants them back AND charges about 5 US dollars to take them back ! It's called an "ecology tax".

Quality oils fetch about the same price as in the US. Unleaded premium currently costs the USD equivalent of 1.40 a liter, which, roughly, amounts to 1/4 of gallon. And over 70% of that hefty cost is tax-related.

And, yes, most of the liquids we purchase are in metric measures. Jamie:cool:

oil filter

Flip,

I've been using WIX oil filters in all my Triumphs, including the r3.

The WIX 51358 will accept the chrome cover fine.:).... My local auto parts store, (Mills Auto, Hubbard, TX) will order anything he has a supplier for.

My Dealer insists that if you are going to change your oil every 3000 or 5000 miles that you are wasting money buying the synthetic oil. I have to admit I always changed my truck, car and bikes at 3000 miles. If syn oil is that much better shouldn't it last longer. My self I ride between 10k and 12k miles a year. So I will probably just change it in the fall...........

Thanks guys.

Jamie:

Thanks for the insight. Actually, I like the tire tax. That would keep them out of the ditches, streams and marshes like we have around here. Old discarded tires in a ditch are mosquito breeders and an eyesore. I myself don't have a disposal problem for used oil, atf, and gear lube. My buddy has a waste oil heater in his shop so I always contribute.

Darron:

Thanks for the cross reference. I tend to use Wix anyway. They are easy for me to get and relatively inexpensive. I still wondering how the Scotts filter is doing. I think Pianoman has one and is using it.

I also go about 5k on an oil change although the factory Triumph manual says 10k. I have been using Amsoil 20-50 synthetic motorcycle oil. My dealer sells it to me a @$10/qt....:roll:

I've gone the Amsoil 20-50 MCF route. It too ran $10/qt. mail-ordered.

The now total absence of upper end noise is deafening; It's is sooo quiet. Whether that quietness persist for any real length of time, only time will tell. The Scotts filter results will require a bit of time (solvent evaporation) and subsequent photo enlightenment to post...forthcoming.

Going to try the Amsoil

I ordered the Amsoil 20-50 Motorcycle oil from the Online store today. From what I have read it gets pretty good reviews. If it can help the Beast run cooler and help with top end noise, I am all for it.

Back