Oil change filter problem

One thing that helps with checking oil level on either Rocket is removing the dipstick first while waiting the minute or two for the cold oil to return
to the tank from the upper cylinders.. Leaving the stick in makes reading the level harder as the oil tube will keep the stick wet when withdrawing it.
Pulling the stick early will prevent that. The reason u cant just check it dead cold first thing before a ride is because if it sits too long, the oil will eventually
leak down from the reservoir into the bottom of the engine giving a low reading. Overfilling can cause it to puke the oil out thru the air box breather
and or blow a seal.
I like this to help read the dipstick for this kind of cases... use a towel, not just to clean the dipstick, but to read it.

1623348948545.png

Just find it easier to read if the tube hasnt had oil in it after withdrawing the stick . If the stick is removed first while waiting for the draindown to the oil reservoir
you only have to wait once. I have tried taking a reading with a cold engine before starting, the read is always different, and sometimes HIGH, for some reason.
You would think it would be low from the oil tank draining down to the crank, but its always different, so i always follow the book and it usually comes
out right.. Even after a complete oil change, the oil is never at the top of the hash marks.. Its always in the middle so there is some wiggle room there.
Over filling will simply cause the tank to overflow into the air box, and make a mess... many actually think that when they see it, they have a leak..
I have the same type system on my C-7 Corvette (dry sump) except you always check it hot and within 2 mins of shutoff or it drains down.
I have never had a bike that requires a cold oil check.
You are saying the little bit of oil on the stick when you remove right before reinserting, would get on the tube and and then back on the stick before reading. Never thought that would make a difference. Will try for fun. Thanks sonnie!

You are saying the little bit of oil on the stick when you remove right before reinserting, would get on the tube and and then back on the stick before reading. Never thought that would make a difference. Will try for fun. Thanks sonnie!
The reading is going to be the same as far as quantity.. Just makes it easier to read when there is no oil running down the stick.. The stick on the Rocket GT is like a car
stick.. The stick reader on the older rocket has a nub on it, and the oil running down the cable isnt a problem.

Retired, and its rainng outside. Nothing better to do than talk about our sticks.. However, did learn how much different
the old vs. new Rocket dipsticks are..

@sonnie : Thanks! Tried to measure the oil level yesterday and was taken by suprise that the complete stick had oil on it, impossible to tell what the level was. Will try your procedure.

Back