Honestly, every time I think I am "giving my Rocket a high octane treat" it runs terrible. It is PAINFUL to always put the lowest octane fuel in but it always runs best. Full admission, I have no performance mods (yet) so I do not know how that factors in. But it is a darn low compression engine.

Honestly, every time I think I am "giving my Rocket a high octane treat" it runs terrible. It is PAINFUL to always put the lowest octane fuel in but it always runs best. Full admission, I have no performance mods (yet) so I do not know how that factors in. But it is a darn low compression engine.

Mine runs sweet and I always run 98

Mine ran sweet on 98 too. But on 91 it's if anything better, certainly no worse. Runs very smooth, starts easier and with less noise from the engine. Still pulls like a train and lifts the front without too muich effort. I put the $3 I'm saving in a jar everytime I fill up and will use it to by a new jacket or something 'nice' for the bike. Better than simply burning it, don't you think?

I can't get 91 anywhere convenient they only have that 91 bp ethanol crap near home and that stuff ain't touching my bike so it's either 95 or 98 for me

I've switched between 87-89-91 octane in the midwest U.S. and i cannot see any appreciable difference. I am willing to store the excess funds any of you may run across when you stop buying the high test gasoline if said funds are causing you any discomfort whatsoever.

They showed a test on a current affair not long back stating its a myth that u save money with the cheaper fuel as all the tests indicated although its cheaper to fill up it doesnt get the same milage once worked out it was actually the 98 that was more economical
ill try to find the story on there websight .
it was either them or today tonight that ran the story

The Rocket has an 8.5 - 1 comrpession ratio. That is very low compared to other 'performance' bikes. It should run on any octane. Triumph probably recommends 89 octane because of the large size of each cylinder. Higher octane is only used to slow down the burn rate and prevent pre-ignition of the fuel air mixture. Higher compression cylinders create higher temperatures, which can cause the fuel air mixture to ignite before the spark plug fires. A higher octane rating helps prevent this from happening, allowing for higher compression ratios and more spark advance without the fuel causing pre-ignition.

Our Rockets, with their low compression ratio, do not require more than 89 octane and I run mine on 87 most of the time.

I have had to run that corn crap in mine up in Kansas and Nebraska! It sucked! Avoid at all costs!

If you go the Carpenter Racing route, they put higher compression pistons, more aggressive cams, and more spark advance. Then you will need the high octane stuff.. Of course, then you get 225+ HP!.. :) I sure wish I could afford to send my bike there!

just reminding everyone that USA/Canada and most everywhere else have different definitions for octance.

In the USA/Canada uses the (R+M)/2 method (also known as Anti-Knock Index or PON) which results in numbers like 87, 89 and 91.

Most of the rest of the world uses the RON method which results in numbers a few points higher, 91, 93, etc.

I like to use the terms Regular, Mid-Grade and Premium to make it more universal.

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I run Regular in mine. Running Premium just sends money out the exhaust, imho.

Back