Ishmael

Supercharged
I use the 98 stuff.
Any thoughts , comparisons?
My son , who started as a diesel fitter ( now a psych - How do you feel about that?) reckons I should just use the regular.

Everything I have heard is to use regular. It is not high compression motor, plus with gas prices being the way they are you are much more likely to get bad gas from the premium pump.

I would spend a buck more per gallon if it ran any better, but it seems to run best on the lowest octane. Compression thing I guess.

I phoned Triumph USA and asked them the same question because the Manual changed a couple of years ago. They said to use the low octane because that was all it needed. However, they did add that if it cause pinging then you should go up one grade. This last bit was mostly CYA. If your bike should ping (pretty unlikely) then get a person who knows what they are doing to adjust the timing in that range.

Hi Ishmael,
Some of the respondents are unfamiliar with the 91, 95 and 98 Research Octane Number (RON) fuel octane numbers used in Oz and extensively elsewhere.
In the states, we use the Anti Knock Index (AKI) rating.
The AKI system rates the same fuel 4 to 5 points lower than RON.

The US version of my Roadster's Owner's Handbook recommends 87 or higher octane rating. My understanding is that anything over 87 is a waste of your money in an engine like the one in the rocket.

I suspect the Australian version of your Owner's Handbook recommends 91 RON or higher. I would use the 91.
Cheers,
Bill

I use the 98 also, have used regular and 95 and couldn't tell the difference :confused:

which begs the question of why would you continue to pay more for the 98 RON if you don't notice the difference. Seriously, unless you've made some serious mods (high comp pistons, etc.), running premium gas is just a waste of your money and doesn't make sense.

plus it's fun filling up along side a Hardley. He has to run premium. just chaps their ass when i put in regular.

Back