Now this really sucks....

Just got an email from my old Marine Bud. He had 1 knee replaced at a VA hospital, couple months ago. He got an infection while there, (sars). BIG mess, he just told me he's still on antibiotic every day for 2 more weeks. Then the Dr. told him if his white cell count is still elevated, they will suggest amputation !!!!! He just said he wished he'd stayed with celebrex or something, instead of the surgery.

That be some SCARY $hit, @cootertwo!
Hospitals are indeed dangerous for infections and I would think a VA one perhaps even worse.
Since my crash last August, my left knee has become nearly a constant pain and gimp.
I have postponed this replacement for two years so far; but, I feel this shall be my final riding season with both of my OEM knees.
:D

Well, the other side of the specktrum, I know another Vet, that had both knees done, in a private hospital, and says it's the best thing he ever did! Pulled his pants leg up to show me the scar, and you couldn't even see one.

Same dilemma here, Amigo. Left knee is giving me ice pick pain frequently. A couple weeks ago I went on the Celebrex. Shall stay on it through RAA IX this month and then get back off. No way I am having the replacement surgery until this winter. After all, I only have so many riding seasons left. :eek::thumbsup:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/ma...av=start&prettyurl=/onourfeet/&gid=2137079380

Bull, check out this forum. Its a wealth of info. SloopJohn, a regular poster, is a Wing rider.
Now as far as the replacement joint goes, do your research into the different brands of joints available. Just like you want the best part for your bike, you should want the best for whats going inside your body. Many people dont even think about this. I had narrowed my choices to the Stryker Triathalon joint or one from Smith and Nephew. If it was from DePay I passed. Another thing is that most Orthopedic surgeons will only use one particular joint over another. I had to visit several OP's in my area to find a good one who used the system that I preferred. If your OP tells you that he combines parts from several manufacturers to make a perfect fit for you, run like hell.

Oh yea, this old Fat Bastard has the Triathalon knee.....go figure. But I do get 120 deg range of motion with it. Do your research and check out the link as well.

Last edited:
So, I live in sunny Florida. Have a nice Rocket. The weather has been picture perfect these last few days with temps around the 80 mark. And I havent been on the bike in a week and its killing me. Every now and then "Arthur" comes around for a visit making my life miserable. This week has been particularly bad. Legs feel like lead weights and I find it hard to get them up on the boards. Left knee is screaming at me but that will be addressed in January. Started increasing my Celebrex so things should calm down soon enough. I get periods like this, particularly after a wet week and we have had our share of rain the last few weeks. One of the joys of getting older I guess......:coffee: At least I aint pooping in my pants yet.....
Brother, I'm feeling your pain. Tore my left meniscus on April 6 - haven't been on the bike since. Doctor said it was one of the worst and most complex tears he'd ever seen on a non-athlete. Had surgery on May 5. Will finish P/T this week, thought the left leg is still weak and occasionally painful. It's incredible - I can't wait to get back on, but there's a little bit of trepidation too - that my skills have eroded just a little, but nothing that is going to keep me off once I'm cleared. Will just take it easy for the first week or so and get re-acquainted with the Beast. Should be this week. Fortunately, here in Florida we can ride all year round - so I'll be able to make up for the lost time.

Bull, I fixed the link for the forum. It now goes to the home page.

K, my left Meniscus is most likely shredded as well. New knee next Jan...WOOHOO....Glad your surgery went well.

Bull, I fixed the link for the forum. It now goes to the home page.

K, my left Meniscus is most likely shredded as well. New knee next Jan...WOOHOO....Glad your surgery went well.

Thanks!
Works well for me as I already have a Delphi account regarding my V2K.
:D
I even made my first post!

Last edited:
Back