download.jpg

Musubi is probably the reason for the spam theft. It consists of sliced spam fried (caramelized) in soy sauce and sugar, added to packed rice and wrapped in nori (seaweed). Hawaiians love musubi and it is sold everywhere including gas stations. My grandson loves it also. To me, tastes like left over meat and rotten seaweed. Yuck!

I read somewhere that Spam was a huge staple in Pacific during and right after WWII.
People incorporated it into their recipes and it became part of their culture. Hawaii has the highest consumption of Spam than any other US state.

I read somewhere that Spam was a huge staple in Pacific during and right after WWII.
People incorporated it into their recipes and it became part of their culture. Hawaii has the highest consumption of Spam than any other US state.
Yep but Guam outdoes them with 16 cans per year per head consumption to Hawaii's 6 - probably a higher proportion of Guam natives to Hawaii's indigenous in total populations. But that excludes ALL the other brands of similar muck like 'Camp Pie' etc.:(:eek::rolleyes::whitstling::whitstling:

When it comes to tinned luncheon meats, Guam and the Pacific region reign supreme. Guam residents each consume an average of 16 cans of Spam-brand tinned ham per year, according to local distributors Dickerson and Quinn. That doesn't count other brands, like Libby, Armour, and Tulip.Jul 22, 2017

Apparently an urban myth was that it stood for Scientifically Processed Animal Matter. But its real meaning is 'SPiced hAM' coined by a actor relative of a company VP at a private New Years pissup where the company owner was trying to name it and had a competition where you had to provide a name to get each drink and the winner would get $100, a good amount in depression era 1937.

I like these try-hard alternative competitor's products.
I wonder why the German word for manufactured meats never took off 'WURST':(:D:roll:

20050822_fg9.jpg

Back