No rear brakes - yikes!

oradbaforpsoft

.020 Over
Ride
2003 Tiger 955i
So I took the beast out today (RIII Roadster 2010) after a long winter. Before even leaving the driveway I notice my rear brake pedal goes all the way down without any resistance. Clank.
Not Spongy, not intermittent - nothing.
Brakes were fine last time I rode a few months ago.
No fluid on the garage floor, and I am frequently in there year round.
No hissing/sucking or other noise that would lead me to believe a bad Master cylinder.
It looks like there is fluid in the reservoir.
No caliper action at the rear wheel - nothing...
Any ideas?

So I took the beast out today (RIII Roadster 2010) after a long winter. Before even leaving the driveway I notice my rear brake pedal goes all the way down without any resistance. Clank.
Not Spongy, not intermittent - nothing.
Brakes were fine last time I rode a few months ago.
No fluid on the garage floor, and I am frequently in there year round.
No hissing/sucking or other noise that would lead me to believe a bad Master cylinder.
It looks like there is fluid in the reservoir.
No caliper action at the rear wheel - nothing...
Any ideas?
Linkage intact?

Looks like a process of elimination will have to be done...I'd probably start with the rear bleed nipple and see if any fluid comes out if you push the pedal...
I just went and pumped it about 20 times. It seems I now have a small amount of spongy brakes resistance. I need to look again in daylight.
I will do as you suggest.
Already feel like an idiot as I do all the maintainence on my Tiger and Speed Four - just a bit clueless when it comes to bleeding brakes with ABS.

Bleed as normal the ABS isn’t a factor in bleeding them.

I have had my rear randomly go out twice after sitting for a while, a quick bleed has always firmed it right up.

Last edited:
Finally got time to fiddle last weekend. I decided that whatever I found I would be changing fluid, so armed with a fresh bottle of DOT4, I checked the reservoir.
The fluid was too yellow and very goopey/lumpy. The front brakes were fine.
Anyway I flushed and bled both and brakes are awesome!
Thanks for listening and sorry I even asked the question without doing the simple task first.

Back