Devildawg

.020 Over
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT, formerly2017 Rocket III Roadster
Hello all! I am recent 17 Rocket III Roadster owner. This bike is a lot of fun to ride!

I have noticed (especially) at lower speeds that when I turn the dragon it feels like the front wheel/handlebars want to oversteer into whichever direction I am turning. I have also noticed that if I hit any small bumps or imperfections in the road when I am experiencing the turning I described above it feels almost as if the front tire wanders as the shock rebounds. This would kind of be the same feeling as driving a vehicle towing a trailer that has a much too heavy tongue weight for the vehicle and the front tires on the vehicle wander a bit (except you are in a curve on a motorcycle). Is this normal? Does the dragon just really dislike slow speed turns/curves? The only other experience that I have on a motorcycle was with my 07 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom 900 which I did not experience this with turning. Could it be that this is a much bigger and heavier bike and that's how they are? Thanks for any responses!

I find that if you let the front tire pressure get too low the steering gets vague and the bike tends to fall into corners at lower speeds. I keep mine a couple of lbs higher than the recommended 38 lbs.

Welcome aboard. Maybe you could introduce yourself ?

Do I do the intro on this thread?

Thank you for your reply! That is a good idea about the tire pressure. When I first purchased the bike the tires were very underinflated. I got them pumped up to the factory 34 front 42 rear. It was much better, but still had somewhat the same feeling. Since you mentioned the tire pressure I did some additional research and it appears that many people up the front higher than the 34 with success. I will try that for now.

First, welcome to the forum. I came from a much smaller bike and the first time I rode a Rocket 3 it handled much like you've stated. Initial turn in was very quick but then needed much effort to keep leaned over. That was a standard Rocket, it just felt weird. Then I rode a Touring. It felt much more like I was used to, I'm thinking it's because of the narrower rear tire.

If you have the metz tyres check the front out for any cupping, check the tyre pressure with a good quality gauge, do not be scared of the bike -ride it like you stole it, is a big heavy bike and it does not like snail pace maneuvers.

Thank you very much for your replies. I am going to up my front tire pressure just a little.... and ride that **** thing like I stole it! Thanks again!

When I say slower speeds I mean anything under probably 25mph. For example, I have some slow curves at the bottom of my road (flat ground) that you have to slow to 15-20 mph and that is where I notice it the most.

When I say slower speeds I mean anything under probably 25mph. For example, I have some slow curves at the bottom of my road (flat ground) that you have to slow to 15-20 mph and that is where I notice it the most.
Especially when hitting small bumps or imperfections in the road.

Tire pressure! Try 40lb front be amazed and work down if you find it a little firm or weigh under 175lb. 40-42 ib on the rear with a passenger/load or if very heavy like many of us, I am a mere 320lb ;):eek::D.

Worn or cupped front tires or rear do not help especially when under inflated.
Most of us eventually upgrade the soggy front springs and fork oil. Std weight is 5w, 7.5 is recommended for most. I use 10w happily with upgraded fork springs from Progressive Suspension in the USA.
The rear suspension is horrible too. the faster you upgrade the less time you will be kicking yourself afterwards;):D

Back