New tyres fitting, should it be difficult?

GaryA

Supercharged
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
I went to get new tyres fitted on the weekend.
Before I arrived the bloke said the rear is a pain, bad rim design with no well for the tyre bead to drop in to for fitting the tyre.
Anyway, on arrival there was more warning that the tyre may rip, and sure enough it did!
So back on went the old rear as there was no more in stock.

More are being ordered for me to get fitted.

My worry is, should there be a problem, maybe I should go somewhere else.

I have never hear of this being a problem before.

I think your chosen tyre fitter maybe rubbish or having a bad day

But he is right the rear wheel does a poor design for lever over fitment just one those Rocket lll things

I assume he sucked up the cost for trashed tyre ?

Its hard to find somewhere in the UK willing to take the back wheel off my Rocket let alone fit the tyre

That's good, sort of.
I had not heard of the difficulty in fitting. I do understand how it works though.
And he is wearing the cost of the stuffed tyre.

Maybe you need a tyre fitter rather than a tyre technician :eek: I have never had any problems getting tyres done. I have used a couple of places where I live in rural New South Wales and most of the time the guys are blown away to be working on a Rocket wheel. I have only had other people take out my rear wheel once to find that the whole bike shop workshop stopped to watch and marvel ...... find a new tyre fitter:sneaky:

Don't put the Metzler on it as he is right and it has very stiff side walls which is good if your scrawny like me as you can get a non repairable hole in and still ride home. IT also is the shortest last tire of the three. The Avon will sit on the rim once you get a flat but is easier to put on and take off. Bridgestone is in-between but better mileage. Make sure the guy has a good air compressor for his machine. I have not heard good things about the newer machines with electric motor driven instead of air.

Last edited:
It does seem strange having difficulty doing the tyre.
It is a dedicated motorcycle tyre place, nothing else.

I will call around with the information I have now.

I just replaced my rear and front. The front was fairly easy.
I will never attempt the rear again. What a PITA!
I’ll pay the $30 to have it removed.

Getting the new one on was okay...little stiff but can be done, it was just the removal I struggled with... if ya want to do it on your own I’d recomend a tire machine like the NOMAR.

Back