New R3 Roadster - TOR no secondaries

Nifty! I downloaded the tuneecu program so I could look at it. What a cool program - deep respect for making it freeware.

I looked at two of the roadster maps, one with stock cats and pipes, another with TOR's. I don't know if those are exact to the factory, it should be close tho (I saw another post that said it was the factory map exactly) and you can def see how closed the secondaires are, plus it has advance values! In both maps the ignition is retareded compaired to the 4th and 5th map, BUT only below 20% throttle. At 20% and above both maps show the same advance in all gears.

So if that map is accurate and I am reading it right, above 20% throttle and there is no igniton retardation in any gear. Ok, a tiny change at 50% throttle but only a few tenths at 1600rpm.

Compairing the stock tune and the TOR tune maps it looks like the TOR tune on the roadster does richen the fuel mixture overall. I read something that said all it did was play with the secondary butterflies, but at least according to these maps for the roadster it does more than that. It also appears that the TOR tune changes the ignition, but once again at over 20% throttle the gears have the same timing.

It's pretty interesting I think. I had not heard about anyone looking it up before, maybe no one cared to. I encourage anyone interested to get the program and look around in the stock maps, it’s pretty surprising. I hope I found something that may be of use to others! It’s really easy to get the program and maps and just look at them on your computer.

FYI the touring and classic showed a similar pattern, timing reduction below 20% only – the touring stock secondaries are close much more than the roadsters and classic according to the maps and in fact, are only open 100% very low in the rpm range even in 4th and 5th... above 4000rpm in 4th and 5th they are only open 41%! The roadster and classic are open 100% in 4th and 5th.

I was surprised to find that from 20% throttle and up the secondaries provide all the restriction, the timing is almost exactly the same. It’s right there on the chart. What I do find interesting is the timing advance is retarded below 20% in the lower gears. I can only speculate on the reason, but my guess would be to smooth out response when cruising or when having a passenger that doesn’t like jerkiness when you are just slowly accelerating.

Back