New Exhaust w. Ram Air Kit - Need Help picking

buddazero

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster 2018
Hey guys!

So, a while back I got the RAM Air Filter Kit installed, and I quickly learned that that alone doesn't make the performance of the bike go any faster. I have the factory exhaust still installed and I've been hesitant to change them because personally I like the look. So, however things change, and I'm looking for a new exhaust system to improve performance.

At the time @barbagris gave me some advice about getting a new exhaust system with a Dyno Tune or power commander. The ones I saw are these here: Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster | daveplattexhausts.com

The one I'm getting is called TRIUMPH ROCKET ROADSTER CUSTOM SILENCERS It's a dual exhaust, within my price budget, and from what I've been seeing in my searches this shop is well known. I was wondering if this is something I should move forward with. Also, I'm not sure if this is a slip-on or an exhaust system. And can either of them still be Dyno Tuned?

According to the documentation, the exhaust by themselves will improve performance. With me installing the Ram Air Kit, this may just be the exhaust system that I'm looking for.

I would love to get a second opinion on exhaust system, or any suggestions if you can spare the time. Please & thank you.

Best,

Kenny

P.S. - If you're curious about my Ram Air first impressions and concerns, it was solved and the post if below for any new comers who may find themselves in the same journey as I'm in Bike feels different-Ram Air Filter Kit

The biggest restriction on releasing the power is the headers. If you look at the headers you will see they exit the head and immediately turn down. If you can imagine the flow of exhaust gas being forced to turn you will understand.
Putting Ramair or k&n filters on to allow more air going in is perfect but you have to let the air flow out too.
You will make huge steps forward if you get a good header and match the cans to it...There are numerous headers...one will take your fancy for sure....then there are follow up steps...tune...etc.
Good luck in going forward.

OK - I AM NOT A FAN OF DAVE PLATT. His claims are frankly dubious.
And he has shown to be REALLY difficult to deal with if you do not buy into his blurb. Others can expand on their experiences.

The R3 runs lean from factory and any de-restriction will tend to lean out mixtures.
He sells slip ons. And the exhaust restriction in the R3 is the header. So if you want more power - you need new headers.

If you change JUST the exhaust slipons - and not the ramair - the ecu might just cope with the change - but no more power.
If you change JUST the ramair - and not the exhaust slipons- the ecu might just cope with the change - but no more power.
Change both for more power ( just a very very tiny amount) and you need a new tune as the ECU will not be able to adjust enough - change the headers for preoper grunt and you 100% need a new tune.

I know the RAMAIR better than most. It was designed by a friend (ex forum member), NOT BY RAMAIR, and I ran the Prototype for 3 years.
It's design brief was clear - More air than the K&N 2780 and with the AIT sensor in the airflow - and fitting under the claw. That's it.
ITG and Pipercross said it was impossible to make - Ramair said - no problems. So Colin gave the design to Ramair.
Ramair suggested a radiused TB inlet. But the rest was down to Colin.

If you want my HONEST opinion. Forget Dave Platt. Save up and talk to somebody like Paul Bryant in NZ. You will get a full system that works.

OK - I AM NOT A FAN OF DAVE PLATT. His claims are frankly dubious.
And he has shown to be REALLY difficult to deal with if you do not buy into his blurb. Others can expand on their experiences.

The R3 runs lean from factory and any de-restriction will tend to lean out mixtures.
He sells slip ons. And the exhaust restriction in the R3 is the header. So if you want more power - you need new headers.

If you change JUST the exhaust slipons - and not the ramair - the ecu might just cope with the change - but no more power.
If you change JUST the ramair - and not the exhaust slipons- the ecu might just cope with the change - but no more power.
Change both for more power ( just a very very tiny amount) and you need a new tune as the ECU will not be able to adjust enough - change the headers for preoper grunt and you 100% need a new tune.

I know the RAMAIR better than most. It was designed by a friend (ex forum member), NOT BY RAMAIR, and I ran the Prototype for 3 years.
It's design brief was clear - More air than the K&N 2780 and with the AIT sensor in the airflow - and fitting under the claw. That's it.
ITG and Pipercross said it was impossible to make - Ramair said - no problems. So Colin gave the design to Ramair.
Ramair suggested a radiused TB inlet. But the rest was down to Colin.

If you want my HONEST opinion. Forget Dave Platt. Save up and talk to somebody like Paul Bryant in NZ. You will get a full system that works.

I'm learning as I go, since you said Paul Bryant I'll look him up. Does he have a website? There's also Carpenter Racing, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of them, but they're famous for the Kit that increases the horse power to 240+. They just happen to do a Full Exhaust 3 into 1 System.

Thank you for explaining why the Dave Platt pipes aren't good. You helped me before and I trust your judgement.

Hello Kenny, I ran the TORs from Triumph for 70K miles and enjoyed the sound and the extra power they afford. It is not much but with the RamAir, pretty nice.

But they are at the end of their life so a ordered the full dual exhaust form Viking (@Paul Bryant) which should arrive any day now. While my headers are still in good shape, just the can are rusting out, I opted for the full set as I too want more power, especially low end torque as that is where I ride most.

Good luck

Hello Kenny, I ran the TORs from Triumph for 70K miles and enjoyed the sound and the extra power they afford. It is not much but with the RamAir, pretty nice.

But they are at the end of their life so a ordered the full dual exhaust form Viking (@Paul Bryant) which should arrive any day now. While my headers are still in good shape, just the can are rusting out, I opted for the full set as I too want more power, especially low end torque as that is where I ride most.

Good luck

Thank you, so we're on the same boat. And good luck to you as well. If i may ask, did you contact Paul via Facebook or email? I messaged him on Facebook through his store page, waiting to hear back.

I did my transactions with Paul via email, Facebook and here. I have know him since I joined this forum in 2013.

Hey Paul!

I just replied to your facebook message with my email. Thank you for getting back to me!

Cheers!

- Kenny

Back