My new R3R is here...

I live further north than you. There where 3 rockets at Devils Bridge on Sunday. Hot choc and bacon butts taste better when your a bit cold.

Get her out and give her some :p.

Obvioulsy I apologize up front if there are any good reasons for not riding :) and as ever, only ride when u feel good to.

Until last weekend mine was in bits, got wheels coated, new clutch, other bits and bobs and now needs an MOT. I’ll be out soon, I do cold but I don’t do wet and exotically wet and slippery with new tyres.

Where are you? Meet for a brew at devils or hawes sometime?

Until last weekend mine was in bits, got wheels coated, new clutch, other bits and bobs and now needs an MOT. I’ll be out soon, I do cold but I don’t do wet and exotically wet and slippery with new tyres.

Where are you? Meet for a brew at devils or hawes sometime?

I'm usually at Devils Bridge on Sundays. I leave Hawes for better weather, too many sheep :)

I rode an R today. They had a GT but the forward controls were uncomfortable for me (5’9”). Even with more pull back, the GT bars were a reach. With no back support, the “C” riding position doesn't work for me. See attached pictures of the R and GT bars. The R was pretty comfortable, similar to my T120. Maybe risers or the GT bars would help. With the original R3 as a reference, this bike is big advance. It is more compact, lighter, and seems lower, although this could be because it’s narrower around the thighs. My feet were easily flat on the ground while stopped. It seems more manageable at slow speed and while coming to a stop. Although I didn’t do any twisties in town, it seems to turn in easily. The brakes are great. The transmission and power delivery are very smooth and the roll on seemed unexpectedly fast because it’s so smooth and quiet. However...I downsized from the R3 to a T120 mainly because of the weight and overall too-muchness (drama) of the R3. While the new R is tempting, I’m not sure I want those 200 lbs back. There’s also $20K+ and wife to consider.

R.jpg
GT.jpg

Lucky you!
Had I been in the market I would get the same one and replace the mirrors, handlebars, put on the GT rails/shifter bits and start looking to replace the strange "wind deflector" thingy.
Oh and I would have to do the rear fender eliminator mod others have done to clean up the backend.
Very nice photos indeed.

I really like the red as well.
I'd just get the GT and paint it red. It would also likely cost less.

hello je suis sur Plaisir donc nous sommes voisin;) tu as une R3 R j'ai en commande une GT pour le mois d'Avril ....a bientôt
A bientôt. j'organise en moyenne 1 fois par mois les beaux jours des sorties multi-marques avec pt de rdv après Vaucresson et passe en sortant de Paris tout près de Plaisir.

Great bike. I went for the GT model and picked it up two days ago. Had sat on the R and found the riding position uncomfortable. Also the red looked too much like the Diavel I had so wanted a change
Managed to put 100 miles on it and absolutely love it. I was a bit disappointed with the tank range at 140 miles. God knows what is under that huge fuel tank but it isnt full of fuel!
Love the forward controls. I have just paired the bike with the connectivity app but havent had a chance to use it yet. Praying for another dry day to get back out on it

One of the downsides is that when you pull in for a break everyone wants to talk about it :)

IMG_1906.jpg
IMG_1907.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PicsArt_01-19-06.10.00.png
IMG_20200119_180304.JPG
IMG_20200118_233631.jpg

Brought this home yesterday after a long-ish wait. Was nice (and a bit unnerving) to know I was the first one to pick up a new Rocket 3.

Heavy rains here in Sydney so haven't ridden at all except that short ride back home - bout 30 kms.

Initial thoughts :

Rode back on rain mode as it was drizzling. Works well and really toned down the throttle response.

Triumph recommend not to go over 4000 rpm for the first 450 kms. So there's that.

This is a much larger motorcycle than what it looks in pictures. Or maybe I felt that because am just under 5'8. Can still flat foot comfortably though. Be prepared to be surprised at how big that tank really is.

Bit of a stretch for me with the handlebars of the R. Might see how I go on a long ride and could consider the GT bars.

Felt the weight when wheeling it into the garage. It is heavy. Big jump up from my previous ride. But the weight disappears as soon as you start riding. And it feels lighter when riding than most other motorcycles with much less weight.

I had asked for the mirrors to be flipped. Bad idea. Doesn't work for this bike and these stock mirrors. My hands blocked most of the view. So flipped it back up to its original position. Simple enough... Two Allen keys (4 & 5mm)

Had asked for the TFT connectivity module and the black knee pads (to help diffuse the red a bit). Both not yet in stock. Have a two week waiting for those to come.

The TFT display Quartz theme looks amazing but not sure it goes with the overall modern look of the bike. Personally prefer the Chronos theme - also a lot clearer and cleaner layout.

Overall, early impressions are good. No regrets - not yet and hope there won't be any. And it is absolutely beautiful to look at. The finishes are unlike anything I've seen on any motorcycle. It is a head turner. Got a few thumbs up at signals riding back from the dealer.

congrats on the new bike!
I do have the Bluetooth connectivity on mine, and it does work. There’s a Triumph app you download, set your destination in the Satan’s, and then you get turn by turn nag coming up on the dashboard. Pairing it was simple and instant.

Try a few longer runs on the freeway - for me, the forward lean was perfect to balance out the wind. I wouldn’t have wanted the bars further back personally. Maybe if you’re mainly riding around town, I don’t know.
Agree Chronos > Quartz. I also need to get to grips with this ‘auto-hide’ and so on - it has a tendency to move stuff around on the screen, which is not great when you’re getting to grips with a new bike!

Back