My Moto Hobo life

Glad to hear that all is well. If you make it up near Baltimore then let me know.

Good to hear you, how is the R3 running? You had so many bike related issues there in Arizona, any repeat of those old issues, any new ones or is the Triumph treating you right?

Last edited:
Good to hear you, how is the R3 running? You had so many issues there in Arizona, any repeat of old issues, any new ones or is the Triumph treating you right?

Yeah, what he said, and also since many of us are living our dream to moto hobo through you, can you tell us:
Is the life playing out like you thought it would? Is it as enjoyable as expected? Would you do it over again?
Would you recommend it to your brothers here or would you discourage us from embarking on our own motorcycle based nomad madness?

Yeah, what he said, and also since many of us are living our dream to moto hobo through you, can you tell us:
Is the life playing out like you thought it would?
Absolutely!

22,000 miles through 18 states so far in 8.5 months.

I try not to plan ahead though. I have a rough route but not the exact roads or side trips.

Some days are better than others and there are some tradeoffs.
Example: I spent 2 1/2 weeks on Big Pine Key. Right on the ocean. I had up to 11 different endangered Key Deer around my camp the whole time but the no-see-ums (gnats) were horrible.

Is it as enjoyable as expected?

It's not a lifestyle for everyone but I am loving it.

Would you do it over again?
Yes.
I can stop anytime and buy a sticks & bricks house (RV’er slang Ha Ha) if I reach a point where its not fulfilling.

Would you recommend it to your brothers here or would you discourage us from embarking on our own motorcycle based nomad madness?

Jump in, the waters fine!

Maybe put a toe in first though if you don't have a lot of experience camping in general, towing a trailer, or riding in adverse conditions.

I would recommend just buying a small tent and some basic camping gear and ride somewhere and stay a week in a remote area to get a feel for what it would be like living on the road full time.

The fundamental issue is funding your adventure. There may have been a time where traveling the country on a motorcycle was cheap but that is not the case anymore.

You will need to budget US$100/day for gas, food, drinks, more drinks, ice, camping fees, propane etc.

Some days are more, some are less but that is $36,500 for ONE year and does not include consumables and repairs, insurance, DMV fees, storage fees, mail service, medical and dental costs etc.

A $45K bankroll would be needed to safely cover a yearlong country-wide high mileage tour to fully experience whats out there without having to constantly worry about money.

You CAN do it cheaper by staying in each spot longer and riding less, staying on free state or government land, staying with friends and family, not eating out, limiting entertainment, finding someone to split costs with etc.

My goal is to eventually try to get under US$2,000 per month but probably not until next winter.

There are some full timers that work out of their RV’s to earn enough to support a nomadic lifestyle too...

Last edited:
Absolutely!

22,000 miles through 18 states so far in 8.5 months.

I try not to plan ahead though. I have a rough route but not the exact roads or side trips.

Some days are better than others and there are some tradeoffs.
Example: I spent 2 1/2 weeks on Big Pine Key. Right on the ocean. I had up to 11 different endangered Key Deer around my camp the whole time but the no-see-ums (gnats) were horrible.

It's not a lifestyle for everyone but I am loving it.

Yes.
I can stop anytime and buy a sticks & bricks house (RV’er slang Ha Ha) if I reach a point where its not fulfilling.

Jump in, the waters fine!

Maybe put a toe in first though if you don't have a lot of experience camping in general, towing a trailer, or riding in adverse conditions.

I would recommend just buying a small tent and some basic camping gear and ride somewhere and stay a week in a remote area to get a feel for what it would be like living on the road full time.

The fundamental issue is funding your adventure. There may have been a time where traveling the country on a motorcycle was cheap but that is not the case anymore.
You will need to budget US$100/day for gas, food, drinks, more drinks, ice, camping fees, propane etc.

Some days are more, some are less but that is $36,500 for ONE year and does not include consumables and repairs, insurance, DMV fees, storage fees, mail service, medical and dental costs etc.

A $45K bankroll would be needed to safely cover a yearlong country-wide high mileage tour to fully experience whats out there without having to constantly worry about money.

You CAN do it cheaper by staying in each spot longer and riding less, staying on free state or government land, staying with friends and family, not eating out, limiting entertainment, finding someone to split costs with etc.

My goal is to eventually try to get under US$2,000 per month but probably not until next winter.

There are some full timers that work out of their RV’s to earn enough to support a nomadic lifestyle too...

Shame on you for bringing a thought process and logic into this discussion! ;)
Seriously tho, I don't think I have it in me to cut all ties and head out on the road like you have. I admire your individualism and resourcefulness to be on your own and enjoy that life.
I suppose I will just have to imagine that I am living on the road as I read your posts. Thank You!

I have a thousand ties that hold me here but I’m ok with it. I have to have a personality change and everybody I know die off before I could make adventure like that. It does sound wonderfully romantic in a free bird sense to live that kind of life. Enjoy my friend.

Back