My Carpenter 240 build

I think Im gonna stay with the packaged 240 kit. I tour on this bike, and I dont want poor fuel to cost me a holed piston and expensive tow. My thinking, (its very possible im wrong) the 240 kit, CES header and can will net me slightly less peak hp and more torque in the more or less normal range. Il def post results when its tuned to see if im right!

I did want to add some info that may be of interest. My Roadster is a 2016 with around 20000 miles on it. I found the cam chain guide (the one that moves with the tensioner) worn pretty deep at the top where it sees the greatest chain angle. Something to look for when you do your 20k valve clearance check!

Other than that everything look ready for many more miles.

I think Im gonna stay with the packaged 240 kit. I tour on this bike, and I dont want poor fuel to cost me a holed piston and expensive tow. My thinking, (its very possible im wrong) the 240 kit, CES header and can will net me slightly less peak hp and more torque in the more or less normal range. Il def post results when its tuned to see if im right!
THEY are all great performers and lots of fun to ride everyday anywhere with a passenger and you can beat up on sportbikes and hot cars for more fun LOL

I'm right in the middle of a similar build myself. Know a guy who had some parts kicking around in his tin shed;). Compression will be 10 1/2 to 1. I have the same exhaust as you, it will be interesting to compare numbers afterwards:)

upload_2018-12-21_7-56-10.png

I'm right in the middle of a similar build myself. Know a guy who had some parts kicking around in his tin shed;). Compression will be 10 1/2 to 1. I have the same exhaust as you, it will be interesting to compare numbers afterwards:)

upload_2018-12-21_7-56-10.png
Awesome! I did consider the Man in the tin shed, but shipping from the US didnt make sense to me. Congrats and best of luck on your endeavor! I am certain we shall both be happy campers!

I purchased the re-usable head bolts from Carpenter. Sure wish they had re-usable con rod bolts too! What did you do with your clutch? Are you just going with stiffer springs or the whole thing. Even though original clutch was like new, I went with the Barnett kit. Just a heads up if you are going that way too. I noticed little "hairs" from the pads on the friction plates.

upload_2018-12-21_9-51-29.png

I ended up using a small wire brush to go around each pad to remove them. This is what I collected from just three of the discs!!! Imagine all that crap going into your oil

upload_2018-12-21_9-54-25.png

I purchased the re-usable head bolts from Carpenter. Sure wish they had re-usable con rod bolts too! What did you do with your clutch? Are you just going with stiffer springs or the whole thing. Even though original clutch was like new, I went with the Barnett kit. Just a heads up if you are going that way too. I noticed little "hairs" from the pads on the friction plates.

upload_2018-12-21_9-51-29.png

I ended up using a small wire brush to go around each pad to remove them. This is what I collected from just three of the discs!!! Imagine all that crap going into your oil

upload_2018-12-21_9-54-25.png

I purchased the APE headbolts. The conrod bolts iirc about $56.00 for 6 bolts....clutch is just what Carpenter supplies. Hope the clutch pull isnt crazy hard. Im keeping the stock clutch until it needs replacement.

Not sure if there is any interest in following my project, but hey, its winter here in the midwest USA so this beats reading the awful news right?!

Thanks to @Claviger ,@warp9.9 , @R-III-R Turbo, @Steel for answering questions as I was considering and now doing this to my bike. What a great community! Every single member ive dealt with has been helpful, friendly and encouraging.

@R-III-R Turbo post couldnt have been more timely. Its saved me time (and money). I also agree that this job, while not really difficult requires pretty good mechanical aptitude. The risk is pretty high if you botch the job......

The Carpenter staff has been helpful and responsive. Now I wait for the head and kit and it goes back together!
20181215_111928.jpg

Heck ya do it and post it. Motivates me thru my own winter projects.

Back