My Carpenter 240 build

So i checked my detailed files, it was actually 12000 miles and this was the worst one I found;

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

My wear at 1500 miles (new one on left, old one on right)

20160317_183911.jpg

Haven't got round to testing alternative yet...
I had heard that this could be a “thing” with shim under buckets. I think tomorrow I’ll pull the cams and see what I see. I’ve been pondering possible solutions. That is really insane that the shims can eat thru like that!
I don’t know of many Carpenter bikes that have been apart, maybe this is inevitable? Pay to play, so to speak?

I had heard that this could be a “thing” with shim under buckets. I think tomorrow I’ll pull the cams and see what I see. I’ve been pondering possible solutions. That is really insane that the shims can eat thru like that!
I don’t know of many Carpenter bikes that have been apart, maybe this is inevitable? Pay to play, so to speak?

Yeah I didn't really bat an eyelid, we do need to remember it is a race bike we use in the street. Race engines are highly strung and need lots of care and maintenance. Rebuilds are part of that life.
Having said that it would be nice if they'd last a bit longer.
Maybe if we made the power lower down and didn't need the lofty rev limit, the need for these to be so light wouldn't be there.

I’m fairly certain that the springs and retainers are Kibblewhite Busa parts. The modified Busas are also having the same issue. Wonder how different the stock retainers are to the Kibblewhite units?
Interesting, the Busa has a much higher rev range......

Back