That leaves me out too :D
+1
If your mirrors are over or too near your hands (even std round ones on stalks) and you have even a slow speed off or highside you can easily snap both wrists or forearms :eek: That was taught to and then by us at rider training many years ago. I have no wish to ever have somebody else wipe my arse again since leaving diapers (as I'm sure the rest of the world would agree), even temporarily and would say "Sayonara" first if the prospect ever arises in old age of it being permanent.

A good point, I hadn't actually considered, though, I may leave them outboard anyways since the very large knuckle protection on my Icon Overlord Gauntlets don't fit with them inboard anyways.

+1
If your mirrors are over or too near your hands (even std round ones on stalks) and you have even a slow speed off or highside you can easily snap both wrists or forearms :eek: That was taught to and then by us at rider training many years ago. I have no wish to ever have somebody else wipe my arse again since leaving diapers (as I'm sure the rest of the world would agree), even temporarily and would say "Sayonara" first if the prospect ever arises in old age of it being permanent.

You forgot to mention that the mirrors would flex out of the way in that type of situation. Anyways that "snap both wrists or forearms" is a little overkill isn't it? :rolleyes:

You forgot to mention that the mirrors would flex out of the way in that type of situation. Anyways that "snap both wrists or forearms" is a little overkill isn't it? :rolleyes:

Only if it happens to me! ;):D
It is all basic physics and the laws of leverage to a hand /forearm jammed against the bar while your body is going forward and over with the mirror stem as the fulcrum.

Re mirror flex, some may, but steel, alloy and even many plastics doesn't flex as easy as bones and ligaments do but only to their limit and them snappo! If your lucky and mirror stems are not really tight they are more likely to swing or turn on their bolts rather than flex when force applied. But corrosion or excessive tightening after rider gets annoyed at them moving when bumped etc could easily prevent that too.

I am not saying it is 100% or even 40% likelihood but in some scenarios it will break one or both wrists/arms when by simply not having them over your hand it would not have happened. The closer the mirror and stem over your hand the higher the chance so reversed bar ends on top of the bar and not sufficiently forward would be worse than std type mirrors/stems and facing the stems forward away from the bar and using the swivel head to obtain the view desired is always better than having the mirror stem directly over the hand or bar itself.

I have highsided a bike and went over the handlebars at over 90mph and was able to remount and ride another 3 hours to my destination with only a bit of gravel rash on my arm where my unzippeed jacket sleeve had slid up. If my mirrors had been in the way I would not have been riding any further, stuck about 30 mile from the nearest phone as darkness was about to fall and in a lot of pain.

Last edited:
My mirrors (Rivco Signal) are set just tight enough that they will not move from riding, yet they will easily twist forward or backward with medium hand force to adjust or in such as an off.
In my crash near Alices Rest in CA the left mirror tucked forward nicely and suffered only minor scratches.

My mirrors (Rivco Signal) are set just tight enough that they will not move from riding, yet they will easily twist forward or backward with medium hand force to adjust or in such as an off.
In my crash near Alices Rest in CA the left mirror tucked forward nicely and suffered only minor scratches.
Need to post pics of these mirrors eh?

Need to post pics of these mirrors eh?

Here you be, M8.

Rivco-Mirrors_1.jpg Rivco-Mirrors_2.jpg Rivco-Mirrors_3.jpg

Attachments

• Rivco-Mirrors_3.jpg
    Rivco-Mirrors_3.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1
My mirrors are Triumph branded Ricvos. I recently did a test to see how tough the anodizing is on them.

Test procedure was to slip between a bus and a semi and drag the left mirror about 20 feet along the bus..... NO damage, not a single mark.

+1 Ricco brand!

Back