Might be buying an R3T

Steve, I think that you fouled up the math in your example a second way in that a tire has a top and a bottom, hence the height differential you provided in your example has to do with the and we're talking about altering the tire's height by manipulating tire dimensions. Fred did not change the rim radius of his wheel. He changed the diameter and section width of the tire, thus changing its height and said difference needs to be doubled because a tire sits on both the top and bottom of wheel(rim).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because this is all pertinent not just to rider comfort, but, most importantly, it is vitally pertinent to rider safety.

Phil,
Regardless of the wheel size the final determination of axle height is the radius of the tire from axle to the ground.
The calcs in my chart include the front wheel sizes of each model and the aspect ratio of the tire.
Perhaps you were speaking of individual model comparison?
In that case, I should have compared only the front and rear axle heights of the Touring model.

ROCKET TOURING
Rocket-Touring-OEM-Tires.jpg

The Rocket Touring boasts better axle geometry IMHO with the front axle .24 inch lower than its rear.
The proposed 140/90R16 front for the Touring has a 12.96" radius compared to the OEM 150/80R16 radius of 12.72".
This raises the front axle .24 inch and places it even with the rear axle.

Not too bad, but not as good as the OEM tire set up.

ROCKET ROADSTER
Rocket-Roadster-OEM-Tires.jpg

Steve, as you know, I do not own an R3T, so I really cannot recommend specific tires based on my own experience. I was the first person on this board to experiment with certain tires, among them the Bridgestone Exedra Max (240 rear, 130 front) and the front Commander II 140/75 17 radial. I now run the E max rear and the Michelin in front having found the 130 in front of my 200 rwhp beast to be a bit skittish.

Our friend, Fingers (Fred) does have a T and lots of experience (lotsa' miles) both with the bike as well as with tires he is using, which he recommends very highly. I've ridden with Fred and know him to be a skilled and prudent rider. If my quick calcs were correct, the front and rear Michelin Commander II bias tires he runs (130/90 16 front, 180/65 16 rear) improve on the OEM geometry and Fred claims dramatically enhanced handling, maneuverability and extended wear as a result vs the factory-equipped Metzelers.

Sorry bout your friend.

Got a 2015 R3T. Hanso has the tune and it is a piece of cake. I put TORS on for now and they give the bike a voice. Not loud, but a growl. The bags are behind you. Once you hit the throttle you never look back.
Will these tunes work on a 2008 tour model? What is TORS?

Back