Might be buying an R3T

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
I started to submit a post asking a lot of questions before making the decision on purchasing a beautiful, highly accessorized 2010 R3T from a friend. I posted it for sale on the site some time back, never considering buying it myself. I think he told me it was an 09 back then but since he's corrected it. I asked him to check the title and confirm the year. This might sound odd but my friend is very ill, well terminal at some point as his son has told me, and when I visit him or talk to him on the phone he has difficulty at times gathering his thoughts and speaking.

In any event, he called last week and gave me a killer sale price on the bike, just for me, because he will never ride again, and doesn't want to go through the hassle of listing it on Craigslist or other medium.

So, I'm going over this week to talk to him and make a decision. After my go fast Classic Tourer I'd never considered a Touring because it is significantly detuned and is, well, a touring bike. I haven't read all of the posts on the thread about lifting the restrictions on the Touring but still must determine if there are good after market exhausts available. I used TuneECU on my Classic with HansO tweaking the tune for me. I had both a set of Jardines and also TORs on it.

While 70 years old is just around the corner I find that the Touring is much lighter off the kickstand than my top heavy Kawasaki Nomad 1600 and assume it is great on the highway. I've test ridden Indians, Victorys and a new Harley Softail Heritage 114 (great bike with the new engine, frame and suspension) this summer. All of these are extremely light off the kickstand which is a big deal for me with my old knees. Even if I can ride for only another 5 years or so I want it to be a great five years. I have one sidecar rig already and one of the questions I'll have for DMC Sidecars in Enumclaw is if they can put one of their cars on a Touring.

Will know this week.

Last edited:
Life happens, for good and for ill, to us all.

Please do what you can to comfort your friend. If it matters, let him know he will have made a good decision to have the bike go where it can fulfill its purpose.

And may you long ride, and be part of our wonderful community.

Sorry bout your friend.

Got a 2015 R3T. Hanso has the tune and it is a piece of cake. I put TORS on for now and they give the bike a voice. Not loud, but a growl. The bags are behind you. Once you hit the throttle you never look back.

How the He!! are ya', Mike?:)
Joe, yes, it is a sad situation and difficult to see. The really sad part is that I've only know Jim for a couple of years and on my last visit told me how much he appreciated me regularly coming to visit. It seems that many of his old friends do not.

Billy, I know little about aftermarket exhausts for the Touring and, like on my 2007 Classic Tourer, want to lose the cat (s) and lift the restrictions on this massive engine. The Rockets are just waiting to be unleashed. But, as an old guy, I probably shouldn't do too much unleashing. I stopped my one of my local watering holes this afternoon and met with some of the friends with whom I rode to the Sturgis 75th Anniversary event. They are a wonderful bunch who want to ride there in 2020. I told them if I'm alive then I'd go.

Phil. Doing OK and still above ground

Howdy, Navi!
Gonna come home back to a Rocket?
Awesome!

It seems that many of his old friends do not.
Then - with all due respect - they were acquaintances, not friends. He's lucky to have you.

Re bike. There are many R3T pipe options - iirc somebody stateside called Dain? - But drop @Paul Bryant a line - our resident Kiwi Zorst Hobbit.

There are days I wish I had bought a T.

Welcome from New Zealand Mike.
Sad to hear about your friend, as Barbagris has said the others are acquaintances.
Great to read there are still decent people out there.

I'm in negotiations at present with another member here to build a complete 3 into 2 system for the Touring.
This is a new project that always takes heaps of time as I am full on busy with regular production.
But when some one wants one, I push me to make it happen and another product comes on line.

Well, Mr. 1olBull, I haven't made the decision yet but by gum I'm trying to come up with reasons why I shouldn't. One is the lack of Triumph dealers in the area but my good friend, an aviation, airframe and power plant mech, has pointed out, we can do any required services, to include the valves. My Canadian riding buddy bought a Rocket this summer, on top of his other bikes, and purchased an after market valve shim set for his Rocket and his TEX.

I'm heading over this week to look the Touring over, take a test ride and make a decision.

Paul, it's good to hear from you. I'll be parting with all of my vintage/classic Triumphs shortly because I can't even kick them over anymore due to my broken down old knees. I've got my trusty old 1967 TR6C that I bought in Cuba, along with three basket cases to include a complete 1957 flat tracker (performance engine completely rebuilt with Lucas racing magneto and Portland Cams) along with 1947 and 1958 Speed Twins, plus tons of new and old stock parts, engines, transmissions and all Triumph/BSA special tools. I was going to contact you about a high pipe exhaust for the flat tracker. It is absolutely bad ass but I'm kind of losing interest in restoring these old dogs in my old age.

I think I need a Rocket. ;)

Where you looking at the R3T?
If coming over the bridge, coffee???

Back