Might be buying an R3T

Well, Mr. 1olBull, I haven't made the decision yet but by gum I'm trying to come up with reasons why I shouldn't. One is the lack of Triumph dealers in the area but my good friend, an aviation, airframe and power plant mech, has pointed out, we can do any required services, to include the valves. My Canadian riding buddy bought a Rocket this summer, on top of his other bikes, and purchased an after market valve shim set for his Rocket and his TEX.

I'm heading over this week to look the Touring over, take a test ride and make a decision.

Paul, it's good to hear from you. I'll be parting with all of my vintage/classic Triumphs shortly because I can't even kick them over anymore due to my broken down old knees. I've got my trusty old 1967 TR6C that I bought in Cuba, along with three basket cases to include a complete 1957 flat tracker (performance engine completely rebuilt with Lucas racing magneto and Portland Cams) along with 1947 and 1958 Speed Twins, plus tons of new and old stock parts, engines, transmissions and all Triumph/BSA special tools. I was going to contact you about a high pipe exhaust for the flat tracker. It is absolutely bad ass but I'm kind of losing interest in restoring these old dogs in my old age.

I think I need a Rocket. ;)

Hello Mike, when I posted earlier I thought "I know this Guy" :)
Yea' we're not 45 any more and the Body stuffs out a little ! :-(
Same here, I still have my 1000cc T160, but it sits in the lounge these days. The Rocket is my Blast bike now, and it just keeps coming back for more.

!cid_7434CEA9942A4C9A9FF4A166EC055607@PaulPC.jpg

Good to see you here. :thumbsup:

Hello Mike, when I posted earlier I thought "I know this Guy" :)
Yea' we're not 45 any more and the Body stuffs out a little ! :-(
Same here, I still have my 1000cc T160, but it sits in the lounge these days. The Rocket is my Blast bike now, and it just keeps coming back for more.

!cid_7434CEA9942A4C9A9FF4A166EC055607@PaulPC.jpg

Good to see you here. :thumbsup:

Well that's a real beauty Paul. Wow. I just joined one of out national vintage bike associations because I still love the old Brit machines but simply can't kick start them anymore.

Bull, the gent lives in Gig Harbor about 20 minutes from me.

20 min for me as well to Olympic Village.
Let me know if'n ya want . . . no biggie if ya don't.

20 min for me as well to Olympic Village.
Let me know if'n ya want . . . no biggie if ya don't.

Any time my friend. I tell everyone that I'm retired with generally no place to be nor any specific time to be there. I don't think I've seen you since Packwood and what a good time that was. I'm pretty sure I still have your phone number from the Spearfish ride planning, one that I reluctantly backed out of.

I'm going to take the Rocket for a ride tomorrow afternoon. It really is a tough decision for me because it is a splendidly beautiful machine but the last two years truly have been hard on the old frame. I seemed to have aged 6 years since my ride to the Arctic Circle in 2015, Sturgis 75th and my two subsequent tours of BC, Alberta and Montana. I'm trying to convince myself that the Touring is not too big a bike for me and that I still have some good riding years ahead of me.

I think of an old friend who I used to ride with when I was a member of the Gold Wing Riders in Virginia while stationed in Norfolk in the 90s. Winston jumped into Normandy with the 101st Airborne and was in the hand to hand combat in the murderous Battle of the Hedgerows. He was also was with them at Bastion during the Battle of the Bulge. I met Winston when he was 83 or 84 and riding a 1500 Gold Wing. He had ridden from Virginia to Alaska 3 or 4 times in the 5 years prior to our meeting. I rode with him for about a year. I recall when we were all riding the Blue Ridge Parkway and he and I got separated from the rest of the group. He was miffed that they turned off the Parkway for a coffee break, looked back at me and said "Let's ditch these old people" as he took off like a bat out of hell down the Parkway with me on my 1200 trying to keep up with him.

Winston was another of the old heroes that I think of as I ponder aging and my riding future; hopefully on a Rocket.

Any time my friend. I tell everyone that I'm retired with generally no place to be nor any specific time to be there. I don't think I've seen you since Packwood and what a good time that was. I'm pretty sure I still have your phone number from the Spearfish ride planning, one that I reluctantly backed out of.

I'm going to take the Rocket for a ride tomorrow afternoon. It really is a tough decision for me because it is a splendidly beautiful machine but the last two years truly have been hard on the old frame. I seemed to have aged 6 years since my ride to the Arctic Circle in 2015, Sturgis 75th and my two subsequent tours of BC, Alberta and Montana. I'm trying to convince myself that the Touring is not too big a bike for me and that I still have some good riding years ahead of me.

I think of an old friend who I used to ride with when I was a member of the Gold Wing Riders in Virginia while stationed in Norfolk in the 90s. Winston jumped into Normandy with the 101st Airborne and was in the hand to hand combat in the murderous Battle of the Hedgerows. He was also was with them at Bastion during the Battle of the Bulge. I met Winston when he was 83 or 84 and riding a 1500 Gold Wing. He had ridden from Virginia to Alaska 3 or 4 times in the 5 years prior to our meeting. I rode with him for about a year. I recall when we were all riding the Blue Ridge Parkway and he and I got separated from the rest of the group. He was miffed that they turned off the Parkway for a coffee break, looked back at me and said "Let's ditch these old people" as he took off like a bat out of hell down the Parkway with me on my 1200 trying to keep up with him.

Winston was another of the old heroes that I think of as I ponder aging and my riding future; hopefully on a Rocket.

What a great story. I have had a couple "Winstons" in my riding life. Both were veteran coppers when I came on as a rookie. Both rode well into their 80s. These fortunate guys are an inspiration to be sure!
I just returned to the dirt after 45 years since I raced pro moto cross as well as non pro rough scrambles, enduro and hill climb events. I have recaptured my splendor in the dirt! If/when I lose my ability to ride motor, I sure hop it is in my 90s! (just 19 years to go) :rolleyes: :whitstling: :roll:

PS: I am in trial tomorrow and not sure when I shall be free. Likely at least not until 2or 3 PM. Will you still be around then?

What a great story. I have had a couple "Winstons" in my riding life. Both were veteran coppers when I came on as a rookie. Both rode well into their 80s. These fortunate guys are an inspiration to be sure!
I just returned to the dirt after 45 years since I raced pro moto cross as well as non pro rough scrambles, enduro and hill climb events. I have recaptured my splendor in the dirt! If/when I lose my ability to ride motor, I sure hop it is in my 90s! (just 19 years to go) :rolleyes: :whitstling: :roll:

PS: I am in trial tomorrow and not sure when I shall be free. Likely at least not until 2or 3 PM. Will you still be around then?

If you mean "alive" by "be around", I hope so. :)

That's an impressive riding history. When I should have been hill climbing I was probably somewhere in the middle of the Med or Black Sea.

Am looking at the bike around 1PM and will probably be there for an hour or so. The rest of my week is pretty open.

Well I looked at the Rocket today and it is absolutely stunning. My friend was very upset because he thought it was a 2010 and it is actually on 09 thinking that I wouldn't be interested. It was so sad to sit with him and see his confusion about things.

I assured him that it was OK but that I just wanted to confirm that the 09's didn't have an issues such as output shaft bearing failures. My gosh but it only has about 5K miles on it, is farkled to the nines and just needs a new home. Everything from ergonomics to, well, everything was absolutely perfect. I saw on it and it felt like home.

Well gents, I think unless someone on the forum warns me off about issues with the 09s, I'll be bringing it home this Thursday.

CONGRATS, Mike and WELCOME back into the Rocket fold!
Need any transportation assisstance, let me know . . .

CONGRATS, Mike and WELCOME back into the Rocket fold!
Need any transportation assisstance, let me know . . .

Thanks Amigo. A local friend will drive me over to pick it up. Since the ethanol gas in it is a couple of years old, I siphon it out and replace it with non-ethanol premium to get it home. Next I must replace the battery. This one is 8 years old and even though it's been on a tender since new, I wouldn't trust it to ride out of town.

Back