Metric Revolution TV Custom Rocket III

Smoked like a cheap cigar........

Toystoretom said:
Its kind of like going to the freak show and looking at the two headed pig fetus in a jar.

Do either of those bikes have any kind of working final drive? It looks like there is some kind of bevel box on the blue one and I don't know what on the turd.

Tomo:

Did your new cat urinate on your Lazyboy?? That's a pretty crass statement for you...calling a bike a "turd", well, it is turd like anyway.

Looks to me like the blue one has a bevel box on the opposite side which would be easy enough. You'd have to reverse the fill and drain. oil immersed is oil immersed. It could also be a final drive from another bike, not even a Triumph.

The brown "turd" (I like it more every time I type it:D ) looks like it has an open knuckle drive shaft connecting a bevel box and the transmission output, which, in essence is what is enclosed in the tube on a stock R3. His drive shaft is just longer. It's been a while since I've gotten into nomenclature on drive lines, but, I believe the open knuckle setup with needle bearing caps is called a "Hotchkiss" drive. I could be wrong about that and my Boston Gear reference book isn't handy. I've replaced enough of those on farm implements. I'd be willing to bet that Hondax has too.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. King Lear was aware of that fact. It's nice to see the acceptance of the R3 as a bike to customize even though the final product may or no may not be to the liking of us here.

How is that guy anyway?? Mine is sitting behind the computer staring at me. Amy is making baked chicken tonight. He'll want some white meat, I'm sure. He's very poor at sharing, with me.:)

Last edited:
I realize this thing is a show bike...(the brown one :D) but I see the clutch cable and arm on the engine... but I see no clutch lever (or brake lever for that matter). The brakes could be integrated together from the rear brake master cylinder, but where did he hide the clutch? It would be too many pedals if he were to use a foot clutch. It would be very hard to work a brake and clutch on one side or shifter and clutch on the other.

It probably doesn't matter, its a show bike, right? Maybe you have to twist the right handlebar grip to work the clutch?

Did your new cat urinate on your Lazyboy?? That's a pretty crass statement for you...calling a bike a "turd", well, it is turd like anyway.
Happy Tomo took a bit of a vacation today when he had to go to the mall and Christmas shop. I've never seen so many people on cell phones, what the heck are they talking about?

Those cats are doing just fine. They dodged a bullet though.. if they would of had a Peke at the pet store they would of had company :D

Tomo:

We had the baked chicken, it was good. Amy makes the best baked chicken and meatloaf and spag and meat sauce...you get the picture (fat). The cat had his too. Sits on the edge of the counter on a newspaper and eats his share. Well trained in our eyes, not in others eyes, I'm sure. He's not into spag, thank God for that.:eek:

I wondered about the lack of controls too but then it's a "show" bike, not a "go" bike.

Years ago I dated a girl by the name of Janet. She had a Peke named Sam. Sam was smart. Darn dog could flush the toilet but wasn't big enough to use it. In some ways, Sam was smarter than Janet.....:D

I do like that open collector header on the "brown turd". I've always run them on my Harley. I bet a R3 would sound wild with a streched full size collector positioned out back. Mmmm...me mind is a turnning :rolleyes: . Bigern

Tomo:

I need to finish your post....a good job on the exahust.

I never heard any bike exhaust referred to as a footwarmer. On sleds, especially multi cylinder 2 strokes, all the expansion chambers usually exit right in front of your right foot. I heard them referred to as bootwarmers.

Amy melted the sole on her right boot on the R3's exhaust pipe this summer. Is that a footwarmer??:)

sidecar.. 1st off this was done for the metric show.. triumph gave him a bike and said make something.. what he used from the t was the engine and driveshaft.. that's it. would an r3 been the best bike to do this with.. nope but that is what he was given. he has been welding and machining for years. you haven't seen his shop i have. you think that he called someone and they had these parts that he stuck together ?
you know i wouldn't ride this bike either. if i could would i build one like it ? nope.. but that's not really the point. these types of bikes are a chance for builds to get the creative juices flowing. i have no problem admiring the work someone does even if it isn't my taste.

Retribution of my troubled soul

TravelGuy:

Speaking for myself only, I was just disseminating the custom R3. As this is a publicly view website and Pig9r posted for all to see, I presumed it was for all to critique. I'm not saying the kid don't have talent, just a little misplaced maybe.

If, I for one, was given a Triumph R3 to "customize", I think I'd pass and ask for a vertical twin like a Speedy or T100, but then, that's me. In so much as his machining skills and shop, I've never been there as you've never been to my shop. Honestly, from the viewpoint of a machinist and fabricator (which I do,) I don't see much of either in the bike.

As I type this, I seem to be slipping to the left somewhat, so lets just leave it like this: It's not my idea of a bike that could be ridden anywhere. It might be a nice conversation piece, but it's not even remotely practicable and probably downright dangerous to ride. Ditto for the blue one but more so for the brown one.

No that I've firmly inserted my foot in mouth, please accept my apology.

Last edited:
To be honest, while I respect the work and it is way above my skill and creative levels to do such work, I haven't seen a truely custom Rocket I really like. To both their credit with the R3 engine it's not like you can just pull a frame off the shelf and drop in an engine like a v-twin. There has to be a lot of fabrication going on. But it is a son of a ***** to try and dress it up like you would the twin.

Back