JUNE04R3OWNERUK

.020 Over
Sitting at a set of lights waiting for go, up alongside me pulls a bright red Porche, we both look at each other, lights change I'm gone, where is he ? Right behind me catching up, I pull back the throttle and watch him slowly disapear in the mirror, the next set of light are red, he pulls up next to me and winds down his window, he calls out 'thought it was a Harley', I say 'No its a Triumph Rocket 111', he just smiles and says 'looks good, I've got a Harley, thought you were on one', the lights change again and were off, I take a left and he go's stright on - with any luck if he's got a Harley he may now well swop it for a Rocket.:cool: :D :)

The problem, my friends, is that the few Western European Triumph dealers I know, cannot and will NOT take Harley's as trade-ins. Simple commercial common sense. Period. OK, the odd Sportster has a chance. But the "insolent charriots" , as the poet said, loaded up with tons of HD accessories and acres of chrome and extravagant paint jobs don't stand a shadow of a chance in these Triumph dealers' used yards, at least NOT at the extravagant prices the sellers naively hope the fetch. Just as an example: A --seemingly well off-- dude showed up at my Geneva Triumph dealership with a VRod- A with less than 2'000 miles on which he had foolishly spent the CHF equivalent of USD 15'000 on extra's. Custom-made, enlarged aluminimium swing arm to fit an Avon superwide tyre, forged chrome-plated wheels, Sceamin' Sparrow everything incl. the big bore (1250cc?) engine kit, pearlescent grey paint, etc..... and expected my dealer to PAY him something in exchange for a new Rocket III. I asked him WHY? He said --having test- ridden the dealer's demo Rocket III-- : "I should have known, but I am stuck with it" (the VRod) . Which he is:eek: .

The problem, my friends, is that the few Western European Triumph dealers I know, cannot and will NOT take Harley's as trade-ins. Simple commercial common sense. Period

I believe you Jamie, but it still seems hard to believe a dealer not taking a trade for a new bike. If the buyer is expecting more than the dealer is willing to offer that's one thing but to just refuse taking a decked out Harley?......hard to believe. The dealer would be losing a sale and a new buyer.....not a healthy business practice IMHO:)

Back