Attitude, risk and riding... long but maybe thought provoking...

JSHRAM

.060 Over
Ride
2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
As most of you know, I'm a crash survivor.. the truth is, I've been hospitalized three times in my life from motorcycles, this last one almost killing me...

That's not the point of this tread though, just that I do have a heightened awareness for risk (and I'm almost 54, so I know I'm not immortal)...

Anyway, I'm working in Jackson, WY which is a HUGE Mecca for the Harley riding community as they go on their sojourn to Yellowstone National Park. Packs of them every day in and day out... you rarely see Goldwings, maybe the occasional BMW and a few dual-sport riders. I've never seen a Rocket and only the rare ******-rocket. So, when I share these two experiences and discuss them, it is about Harley riders, however, their actions are not necessarily unique and limited to Harleys, so the food for thought is universally applicable.

Common instances here in town.. a gaggle passes through (gaggle being a gaggle of Harleys, like a gaggle of geese) being led by your typical wife-beater shirt clad rider, no safety gear except a leather vest, chaps, no helmet, no gloves.. wife on back dressed similarly but likely with a bandana or head scarf to keep her hair in tow. Bottom line, they go down, no protection. The leader will push the crowded traffic and lights... I've seen it many times, leader pushes the yellow light, gaggle follows through on the red... uh, what if someone busts the green and broad sides them?.. kay typical experience #1...

Unique experience #2 (but based on my observation of these guys that pass through here, I doubt it's that unique). I rode south along the eastern side of Wyoming a couple weeks ago and got caught in a rain and hail storm. Me and two Harleys (both completely decked out $40k 110 Harleys and typical riding gear (nothing) with wives on the back all about my age, mid 50s) hid under the gas station awning to wait out the storm.. it passes and I rain-gear up as I know we'll pass through the tail of it on our way, then we go, they don nothing (I also wear full gear).

I'm tailing them (lead has a radar detector which is nice), they ride 80mph into the hail and don't slow down... it sounds like rocks hitting my helmet and hurts my legs even through riding pants.. I know they are in major pain.. no let up in speed.. I back off and re-join after we pass storm... The leader is driving like he's trying shake not only me, but also his partner... 100mph, blind passes.. I know he's pushing that 110CI as hard as it'll go.. and he's fully loaded.. I'm solo, and sporting WAY more power than him so no way he could shake me if I wanted to hang tight.. but I refuse to blind pass or pass on curves at those speeds.. Both me and his partner work hard to catch back up as he doesn't wait for us to re-join.

All I can say is WTF? both examples they've got their precious cargo on the back and taking risks like that? We all take risks, no doubt.. we all drive too fast on occasion, go when we shouldn't, all kinds of things.. but when our Ego drives our ability to see and reduce risk? Clearly these examples show ego driven risk taking, but where is the line?

So this isn't really a bash Harley thread, its more of a "risk taking attitude" thread (for example if you're going to ride with no gear, maybe think about NOT adding risk to the ride)... something we could all benefit from anyway.. or, it's just an observation.

John

Had my Rocket in Yellowstone on July 21st and 22nd. Came though Jackson, WY. on the way home to Idaho. Saw a lot of the HD riders you describe.

Had lunch at McD on the main drag in Jackson. Thought it was odd seeing a 20 yo girl riding her bicycle wearing a dress and cowboy boots and texting while riding.

I am also a crash survivor....no gory details, but it was around 250,000 ducats to patch me up. It did not in the slightest sway me from riding, but I did learn what my mistake was, and resolved never to repeat it. The riding styles you describe are partly what put me in Neuro-ICU....some curves are not gonna tolerate a lot of speed, and if you don't know where you are, you gotta be ready for anything!

Our problems here are kids on scooters wearing shorts and a vest, foot protection via Nike. Bloody fools, they don't realise that the tarmac will go to bone in milliseconds, some poor sod will have to scrape them off the floor. I even saw a man in shorts with a t shirt wearing sandals riding a Ducati 916. They add to statistics that give motorcycling a bad name......rant over

Our problems here are kids on scooters wearing shorts and a vest, foot protection via Nike. Bloody fools, they don't realise that the tarmac will go to bone in milliseconds, some poor sod will have to scrape them off the floor. I even saw a man in shorts with a t shirt wearing sandals riding a Ducati 916. They add to statistics that give motorcycling a bad name......rant over

We have those, but here they don't even have to wear a helmet.

So, StollyDriver, see you're a Welshman. Funny, my daughter is soon to be engaged to a Welshman from Swansea who is also an engineer (as am I). He loves our bikes too. He's been Stateside to visit us and we just love him (but he sounds kinda Ausie to me, is that common?) and we're all headed to Wales this Christmas to meet the family and probably seal the deal. That'll be three down, one to go! HA! Empty nest, here I come!

John

We have those, but here they don't even have to wear a helmet.

So, StollyDriver, see you're a Welshman. Funny, my daughter is soon to be engaged to a Welshman from Swansea who is also an engineer (as am I). He loves our bikes too. He's been Stateside to visit us and we just love him (but he sounds kinda Ausie to me, is that common?) and we're all headed to Wales this Christmas to meet the family and probably seal the deal. That'll be three down, one to go! HA! Empty nest, here I come!

John

Maybe he is from Swansea, New South Wales as I have never heard a Welsh accent a bit like an Aussie one. Your airfares may be a bit dearer than you thought and take you in a very different direction. If we don't see you Downunder by New Year we will be asking "Where the bloody hell are you" ;):eek::roll::roll::roll:

Swansea NSW - Accommodation, Maps, Attractions & Events

Describing the typical effin idiot who gives us law abiding(to a point) good motorcyclists a bad name, now being an MSF instructor I will help most riders out off trouble but if someone wants to ride without a helmet and even the basic protective gear I will happily wave at them as they are sliding across the road. Remember any fool can make a motorbike go fast in a straight line.
Now talking about accents i get asked a lot if I am from Australia which I do not mind just do not ask me if I am from England:D I do not want to sound funny like them guys:roll: big problem with listening to most Americans talk is that they talk so slow it is like putting a 45rpm record on at 33rpm:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have to admit I ride with shorts on quite a bit and a tshirt. No sandals but usually not riding boots either. Problem is I can't find a leather jacket and helmet that fit. I have A HJC 4XL and it's crazy tight and I've given up on finding a leather jacket that fits. I'm 5'6" and 350. I do usually wear a denim jacket and leather gloves. And while I sometimes drive fast I don't drive like the HD rider mentioned.

Describing the typical effin idiot who gives us law abiding(to a point) good motorcyclists a bad name, now being an MSF instructor I will help most riders out off trouble but if someone wants to ride without a helmet and even the basic protective gear I will happily wave at them as they are sliding across the road. Remember any fool can make a motorbike go fast in a straight line.
Now talking about accents i get asked a lot if I am from Australia which I do not mind just do not ask me if I am from England:D I do not want to sound funny like them guys:roll: big problem with listening to most Americans talk is that they talk so slow it is like putting a 45rpm record on at 33rpm:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

You've undoubtedly met a few of us that talk like machine guns shoot....I reckon you'll agree that's really hard to listen to as well.

Back