DaddyRabbit

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 Triumph Rocket III Classic
Just turned 20,000 on my Classic! Is checking the valves really necessary every 10,000 miles?

From what I have been reading, most people are saying 20k is a good time to check them instead of 10k. Mine were checked at 10k since it was in the shop anyway, and no adjustment was needed.

From what I have been reading, most people are saying 20k is a good time to check them instead of 10k. Mine were checked at 10k since it was in the shop anyway, and no adjustment was needed.
Mine was checked at 10,000 also and no adjustment was needed! Just wondering how many here gets it done every 10,000?

When I bought my 2013, I asked about the 10,000 mile valve check. I was told that if they ain't making noise, they don't check! And if you look at what's involved, to do any adjustments, "by the book", I wouldn't trust anyone but myself. However, when I do check mine, someday, and if it needs any adjustment, I'll try the "without removing the cams" thing.

When I bought my 2013, I asked about the 10,000 mile valve check. I was told that if they ain't making noise, they don't check! And if you look at what's involved, to do any adjustments, "by the book", I wouldn't trust anyone but myself. However, when I do check mine, someday, and if it needs any adjustment, I'll try the "without removing the cams" thing.
Thanks Cootertwo, but unfortunately I'm no wrench! I was hoping more of the Rocket Gurus to respond!
s

When I get to 20K I plan on doing the valve adjustment myself. I mean, I rebuilt the engine with a buddy, so I'm not scared to do the job. And I've done it several times on larger engines. Shouldn't be too hard.

I'm just an old fart with fat fingers, and under that cam cover looks like the insides of a Singer sewing machine to me !!!! But I do think if one was a bit talented, and very careful and patient, it could, and has been done without having to loosen, or remove the cams. And I'm only at around 9,000 on my 2013, so it should be awhile before it will need any adjustment. One of the reasons I bought my Beast, was that it had the look of something built to go a long way, with little maintenance.

Back