Madstad windshield!

Some background: I've never really used a windshield on any of my bikes. I've never really minded the wind, it just gets tiring after a while. The closest was my Sprint, but that was barely more than a continuation of the fairing. But I've also never experienced turbulence like I do on my GT. My assumption was that it was a big bike which probably needed something bigger than the little flyscreen it came with.

For reference I'm 6 foot, 250 pounds, 32 inch inseam. My GT is Phantom Black. I ordered the 18 inch windshield in Light Grey.

The light grey is a very close match to the stock flyscreen tint.

Installation is simple once I understood how the windshield is secured to the brackets. I've attached a picture of the loose grommets, and tightened with the screws to demonstrate how the grommets kind of squish to create a donut which prevents them from backing out.

Aesthetically, the brackets are very industrial. Function over form. They are unpainted, raw metal - even though it seems for other bikes the brackets are painted black. Perhaps the raw brackets would look better on a Silver Ice bike? But I can't say I liked them on my Phantom Black.

The windshield is rock solid. It didn't flop around or move at all up to 85-ish. I didn't go beyond that, but it wasn't giving any hint of stress so I imagine it would continue to be stable at faster speeds.

Adjustment is quick and easy, even in gloves. Changing it up at a stop light wouldn't be a problem. I've attached pictures of various configurations.

The stock flyscreen does in fact mount to the MadStad brackets, providing it with the same adjustability.

However, I should have ordered a larger windshield. Keep that in mind below.

I first tried "all the way back and all the way down". That was no good at all. The wind hit me directly in the forehead, and I had a headache after only five minutes.

I switched it up to "all the way forward and all the way up". Somehow, that was even worse. It seemed that as the windshield cut through the air, the air reconverged directly on me. I think maybe the windshield was simply too far away from my seating position.

Last I tried "all the way back and all the way up". The wind hit me directly in the visor, which was preferable to either of the above but still not ideal.

I swapped out the MadStad windshield for the stock flyscreen on the MadStad brackets. None of the resulting configurations were bad, but none of them really seemed to accomplish anything either.- nearly the same as the stock flyscreen on the stock mount.

Lastly I just took everything off. No windshield, no flyscreen. This was better than all of the above. Full force of the wind, sure - but evenly over my entire body.

Remember though, that's what I'm used to. And if I was going to put on a windshield I really think I should have chosen the 22" or even 24" rather than the 18".

I'm still deciding what to do now. MadStad charges a 15% restock fee or will send you another windshield at a discount - not both. So if I opt for a bigger windshield and still don't like it then I'm SOL. I'm leaning towards just sending it all back. But if I do keep it, opting for a bigger windshield, I have got to paint those brackets.

Overall, it is a quality piece. I don't want to discourage anyone. But I would maybe recommend getting a larger shield than you think you need.

Attachments

• back_short_rear.jpg
    back_short_rear.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 103
  • back_short_side.jpg
    back_short_side.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 103
  • back_tall_rear.jpg
    back_tall_rear.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 101
  • back_tall_side.jpg
    back_tall_side.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 97
  • forward_short_rear.jpg
    forward_short_rear.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 101
  • forward_short_side.jpg
    forward_short_side.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 100
  • forward_tall_rear.jpg
    forward_tall_rear.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 99
  • forward_tall_side.jpg
    forward_tall_side.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 101
  • grommets_loose.jpg
    grommets_loose.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 100
  • grommets_tightened.jpg
    grommets_tightened.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 106
Nice write up man!!
I think from the pics brackets look ok.
I like the direct bolt of bracket to the bike.
I think your solution would be the 24 inch screen.
I would get that screen, once mine breaks.
Thank you for that!

Some background: I've never really used a windshield on any of my bikes. I've never really minded the wind, it just gets tiring after a while. The closest was my Sprint, but that was barely more than a continuation of the fairing. But I've also never experienced turbulence like I do on my GT. My assumption was that it was a big bike which probably needed something bigger than the little flyscreen it came with.

I can honestly say that overall, no screen at all is the most comfortable ride out of my OEM, CalSci and PowerBronze screens. To verify I just went on another ~150 mile ride on it with no screen at all and I had less wind noise in my helmet and I didn't really notice more wind on my chest, which should definitely be there. I should feel more on the chest, but I didn't.

I hear my music coming from my cardo system way better without any screen at all.

I may still try and get the 24 inch MadStad screen, but I might not. If I can squeeze a refund out of those CalSci guys, I might go for it.

Last edited:
I can honestly say that overall, no screen at all is the most comfortable ride out of my OEM, CalSci and PowerBronze screens. To verify I just went on another ~150 mile ride on it with no screen at all and I had less wind noise in my helmet and I didn't really notice more wind on my chest, which should definitely be there. I should feel more on the chest, but I didn't.

I hear my music coming from my cardo system way better without any screen at all.

I may still try and get the 24 inch MadStad screen, but I might not. If I can squeeze a refund out of those CalSci guys, I might go for it.
At 80+ hwy speed, if you turn your head 45 degrees left or right, you don't feel the neck muscles working hard to keep head stable? With me and oem shield, shoulders, chest get much wind where I feel the hands having to hold on tighter, and neck muscles working hard. I know you can build up strength in those muscles but just not as comfortable for me.

For reference I'm 6 foot, 250 pounds, 32 inch inseam. My GT is Phantom Black. I ordered the 18 inch windshield in Light Grey.

The light grey is a very close match to the stock flyscreen tint.

Installation is simple once I understood how the windshield is secured to the brackets. I've attached a picture of the loose grommets, and tightened with the screws to demonstrate how the grommets kind of squish to create a donut which prevents them from backing out.

Aesthetically, the brackets are very industrial. Function over form. They are unpainted, raw metal - even though it seems for other bikes the brackets are painted black. Perhaps the raw brackets would look better on a Silver Ice bike? But I can't say I liked them on my Phantom Black.

The windshield is rock solid. It didn't flop around or move at all up to 85-ish. I didn't go beyond that, but it wasn't giving any hint of stress so I imagine it would continue to be stable at faster speeds.

Adjustment is quick and easy, even in gloves. Changing it up at a stop light wouldn't be a problem. I've attached pictures of various configurations.

The stock flyscreen does in fact mount to the MadStad brackets, providing it with the same adjustability.

However, I should have ordered a larger windshield. Keep that in mind below.

I first tried "all the way back and all the way down". That was no good at all. The wind hit me directly in the forehead, and I had a headache after only five minutes.

I switched it up to "all the way forward and all the way up". Somehow, that was even worse. It seemed that as the windshield cut through the air, the air reconverged directly on me. I think maybe the windshield was simply too far away from my seating position.

Last I tried "all the way back and all the way up". The wind hit me directly in the visor, which was preferable to either of the above but still not ideal.

I swapped out the MadStad windshield for the stock flyscreen on the MadStad brackets. None of the resulting configurations were bad, but none of them really seemed to accomplish anything either.- nearly the same as the stock flyscreen on the stock mount.

Lastly I just took everything off. No windshield, no flyscreen. This was better than all of the above. Full force of the wind, sure - but evenly over my entire body.

Remember though, that's what I'm used to. And if I was going to put on a windshield I really think I should have chosen the 22" or even 24" rather than the 18".

I'm still deciding what to do now. MadStad charges a 15% restock fee or will send you another windshield at a discount - not both. So if I opt for a bigger windshield and still don't like it then I'm SOL. I'm leaning towards just sending it all back. But if I do keep it, opting for a bigger windshield, I have got to paint those brackets.

Overall, it is a quality piece. I don't want to discourage anyone. But I would maybe recommend getting a larger shield than you think you need.
Thank you for the very clear and informative write up. Saved me the hassle of trying their bracket.
I totally agree with you that no screen is the most comfortable option.
For me it was also the least noisy compared with the OEM screen which was a waste of money.
And if this relatively huge 18" screen didn't cut it, then going with the larger screen will definitely make the bike look like sh!t.
You may be better off just returning it and taking the 15% loss.

At 80+ hwy speed, if you turn your head 45 degrees left or right, you don't feel the neck muscles working hard to keep head stable? With me and oem shield, shoulders, chest get much wind where I feel the hands having to hold on tighter, and neck muscles working hard. I know you can build up strength in those muscles but just not as comfortable for me.
Not really. This Shoei helmet is nicely aerodynamic.

Back