Madstad windshield!

I really never thought of it but you are correct. The OEM windshield directs or concentrates the air at given speed full force on your chest and head. Without the OEM you get the windblast evenly over your body. So it seems you wouldn't get hit as hard by the wind by not utilizing the OEM shield. This in turn lets you stay in the saddle longer. Maybe utilizing the OEM for much longer rides is counterproductive and no windshield would be a better ride. It makes sense. I'm going to check it out.

Perhaps it depends on what you mean by aerodynamic. My jet helmet has a large, round visor and I can turn my head without any effort at all on a naked bike. My integral helmet is much more pointy and catches the wind when I turn my head, which is a bit uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Perhaps it depends on what you mean by aerodynamic. My jet helmet has a large, round visor and I can turn my head without any effort at all on a naked bike. My integral helmet is much more pointy and catches the wind when I turn my head, which is a bit uncomfortable.
so when you turn your head at hwy speed, you don't feel wind pushing your head in direction of the wind?

No, or at least very little with my jet helmet, I would say it's effortless. Not so at all with my integral helmet which catches quite a lot of wind. And to be clear I don't own a Rocket, but I think it would be the same on any naked bike.

No, or at least very little with my jet helmet, I would say it's effortless. Not so at all with my integral helmet which catches quite a lot of wind. And to be clear I don't own a Rocket, but I think it would be the same on any naked bike.
I may have the wrong Shoei! RF1200

Surprisingly the very small screen works for me at speed not higher than 80 miles/hour. And my wife underlines that she does not feel turbulence as she did on our 2007 Rocket.
I am not tall (5'8") and she is 5'7".
We had a Madstad screen on a previous bike and there are a few things to take into account to get maximum efficiency:
- lower part of the screen should fully cover the "plate" above the lights to create a flow of air, between this plate and the screen, which will be oriented above your helmet
- total length of the screen should be able to reach a line between your nose and your chin.
- Try to take a picture when you are sitting on the bike with the screen in order to choose the length of the screen, then to adjust the angle of the screen
- From my previous experience, an angle between 55° and 60° vs horizontal was optimum. Unfortunately the plate above the lights on the bike (apologize I do not know the name in English) has an angle close to 40° which is too low to create a great flow of air with the windscreen at 55°.

I was a bit lazy to create a drawing, but if anybody is interested I can do it.

I started this thread and didn't post my review yet. My windshield arrived on the 5th but I left for vacation on the 4th. Funny thing, I'm from Pa and just by chance passed Madstad in Florida.(on my Honda)on the 7th! I still plan on posting my review of the 24 inch in a couple weeks when I get back.

Attachments

• madstad.jpg
    madstad.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 17
Call them first and let them know. Otherwise you pay shipping again!
I emailed them and reiterated how they tried to convince me to use a shield that I didn't order and that it cracked with under 500 miles on it. They asked for proof so I sent screenshots of the previous conversation and pictures of the wind screen and it's been over a week and I have yet to hear back from the CalSci slimeballs.

Edit: Turns out they mailed me a replacement without saying anything to me about it. I asked for a refund and they sent me a replacement.

Last edited:
Apologies for hijacking the thread. I am looking forward to your review of the 24 inch.
Not needed. I'm glad you did it . People are waiting , its riding season, and you did a great review! I'm sure better than mine will be. I'm the same height as you. I'll post what I think of the 24". (eventually)

Back