Madstad windshield!

I emailed them and reiterated how they tried to convince me to use a shield that I didn't order and that it cracked with under 500 miles on it. They asked for proof so I sent screenshots of the previous conversation and pictures of the wind screen and it's been over a week and I have yet to hear back from the CalSci slimeballs.
😡😡😡

I really never thought of it but you are correct. The OEM windshield directs or concentrates the air at given speed full force on your chest and head. Without the OEM you get the windblast evenly over your body. So it seems you wouldn't get hit as hard by the wind by not utilizing the OEM shield. This in turn lets you stay in the saddle longer. Maybe utilizing the OEM for much longer rides is counterproductive and no windshield would be a better ride. It makes sense. I'm going to check it out.

There is definitely an increase in wind noise with the OEM windscreen and also with the Puig clip on shield as well.

Up to 50 or 60 MPH, I'd much rather ride without the windscreen(s) attached. The wind noise is surprisingly increased inside my Shoei Neotec 2.

The reason I decided to try the windscreen(s) in the first place is that at freeway speeds, I felt like I was getting pushed around quite a bit by the wind buffeting against my chest/shoulder/arms.

This where I need to do some more comparison with some longer rides in the 70 to 80 MPH range. However, it does seem like the combination of the windscreens does a fairly good job of pushing the wind up higher and smoother to the point I might take the trade off for that vs. the increased noise on a long ride. I can always turn the speakers up a little.

20210607_182152.jpg

It wasn't not being able to hear music that I was worried about, but actual hearing loss. The noise w the OEM shield was louder and higher pitch because it was concentrating the jet onto the helmet, instead of (without the shield) being dispersed all around the bike and onto the rider.
So with the shield, definitely would need ear plugs to mitigate wind noise/trauma and potential gradual irreversible hearing loss.
Without the shield, relatively quieter, but still at highway speeds, ear plugs make a huge difference. Any time I start a ride having forgotten to wear them I notice the difference immediately and actually stop on the side, put them on, and resume. That's why they don't leave my riding pants pockets.
Unfortunately it seems like any other good option would have to be a huge sail of a screen which will destroy the look of the bike and at that point might as well ride a cruiser, or a car.

It wasn't not being able to hear music that I was worried about, but actual hearing loss. The noise w the OEM shield was louder and higher pitch because it was concentrating the jet onto the helmet, instead of (without the shield) being dispersed all around the bike and onto the rider.
So with the shield, definitely would need ear plugs to mitigate wind noise/trauma and potential gradual irreversible hearing loss.
Without the shield, relatively quieter, but still at highway speeds, ear plugs make a huge difference. Any time I start a ride having forgotten to wear them I notice the difference immediately and actually stop on the side, put them on, and resume. That's why they don't leave my riding pants pockets.
Unfortunately it seems like any other good option would have to be a huge sail of a screen which will destroy the look of the bike and at that point might as well ride a cruiser, or a car.
Earplugs and no screen at all has been very doable for me. Let's me keep my visor open to cool off also.

Not needed. I'm glad you did it . People are waiting , its riding season, and you did a great review! I'm sure better than mine will be. I'm the same height as you. I'll post what I think of the 24". (eventually)
So I finally put the 24" Mad Stad windshield on my bike. I didn't ride it far but did take it on the highway at 80 for about 10 miles. (just got back from a 2 week trip and want to spend time with my family.)
I typically don't wear earplugs on trips and wear a C3pro. The buffeting wasn't bad but most likely would wear ear plugs on a long trip.

I have a 2 piece power bronze and a Cali Scientific. The Mad Stad is much thicker and sturdier then both. Less flopping around in the wind despite it being more surface area then both.
Being on the road all day at 80 with cross winds will be challenging for any shield. I can't answer for that yet.

For comparison- My bike has 2 inch risers and the seat is at least 1/2" higher than stock. I'm 6'1" with 31" inseam and sit high and straight. check out pics.
Apologies for hijacking the thread. I am looking forward to your review of the 24 inch.
So I finally put the 24" Mad Stad windshield on my bike. I didn't ride it far but did take it on the highway at 80 for about 10 miles. (just got back from a 2 week trip and want to spend time with my family.)
I typically don't wear earplugs on trips and wear a C3pro. The buffeting wasn't bad but most likely would wear ear plugs on a long trip.

I have a 2 piece power bronze and a Cali Scientific. The Mad Stad is much thicker and sturdier then both. Less flopping around in the wind despite it being more surface area then both.
Being on the road all day at 80 with cross winds will be challenging for any shield. I can't answer for that yet.

For comparison- My bike has 2 inch risers and the seat is at least 1/2" higher than stock. I'm 6'1" with 31" inseam and sit high and straight. check out pics.

Attachments

• bb3.jpg
    bb3.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 101
  • bb4.jpg
    bb4.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 109
  • bb7.jpg
    bb7.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 110
  • bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

What seat is that?

Back