Lubing the shaft

I do not lube my gearbox end splines, do i need to?
I do, with high pressure molybdenum, both ends of driveshaft gets it like a jack hammer so i lube like factory did and book says. After a while the grease drys and turns to a powder like dry substance. Pull it and youll see the factory stuff

I do, with high pressure molybdenum, both ends of driveshaft gets it like a jack hammer so i lube like factory did and book says. After a while the grease drys and turns to a powder like dry substance. Pull it and youll see the factory stuff
Thanks for the answer. It looks like i will have to have a look at it now. I didn't realise it was a sliding joint at both ends.

Thanks for the answer. It looks like i will have to have a look at it now. I didn't realise it was a sliding joint at both ends.
Well the torsional dampener has a huge spring and the shaft end at bevel box has a small spring but also the slapping affect when you ratchet 145 ftlbs of rocketdom the grease helps as cushion but gets squirted out, not like a bearing that blows up if its overpacked at high speed, it needs fresh grease but will last long time without ( if owner not a hooligan)

Well the torsional dampener has a huge spring and the shaft end at bevel box has a small spring but also the slapping affect when you ratchet 145 ftlbs of rocketdom the grease helps as cushion but gets squirted out, not like a bearing that blows up if its overpacked at high speed, it needs fresh grease but will last long time without ( if owner not a hooligan)
I do not drive it hard as the rocket is fast enough for me under normal riding. Just pushing it a little hard sometimes on acceleration but normally it's fairly gentle for a motorcycle this size. You don't have to thrash these bikes do you.

I do not drive it hard as the rocket is fast enough for me under normal riding. Just pushing it a little hard sometimes on acceleration but normally it's fairly gentle for a motorcycle this size. You don't have to thrash these bikes do you.
I would never thrash these bikes Mike

Is service of the front end of the rear drive shaft on the regular maintenance schedule? Removing the swing arm was outside my capabilities. Did not have tools or a support system for that. The bike would have to be supported by straps from above.

Back