Lowers hit radiator shroud

Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
I seem to have a problem.

I went and got the lowers and mounted them. The upper clamp on the throttle side hits the radiator shroud even with the wings rotated back as far as they will go without the lowers themselves hitting the shroud at full lock.

Interestingly, only the clamp on the throttle side hits. The clamp on the clutch side clears, though not by much. I have the upper clamps tight against the lower triple crown and the turn signals are centered in the holes. I'm open to suggestions.

The lowers are great. I agree with everyone else that the reduce, almost eliminate the buffetting and create a still air pocket right where your face is. Besides, they look nice. The clamp chewing into the shroud isn't nice though.

I guess if I had to, I could reduce the lock on the right by putting a weld dimple on the frame boss but it shouldn't hit and I can't figure out what's wrong.

Next Saturday I'm heading off on a 1500 mile jaunt up through Wisconsin and I'd like to have it right.

You must be mounting them wrong as mine do not hit anything. Can you take a picture so we can see and maybe help you out if possible?

VonBonds:

They will only go on one way. There is no wrong way at least I don't think there is. Last night I got adventerous and removed the chromed plastic shrouding that surrounds the radiator. I then removed the upper mount, took a pair of needle nose vise grips and bent it back toward the steering head. I put everything back together, checked all the clearances between the radiator and frame as well as fan assembly and frame and everything is okay. I now have clearance at both lock positions, about 1/8". If you can imagine, the little ears that join the clamp halves were hitting the center part of the shroud. It's close now, but at least it's a cigar.:D I have the upper clamp as close as I can get it to the triple crown. I even used a block of wood and a brass hammer to make sure it was as high as it would go.

What led me to remove the shroud was in frustration I physically moved the radiator at the top and observed the mount flexing. Without removing anything I could get one side to clear but not the other and vice versa as I was literally rocking the radiator in the mounts. Once I was able to tweak the mounts both back, I attained the needed clearance.

I didn't need much, about 1/8".

And my dealer said Rivco stuff didn't fit.......that's a laugh:roll:

OK, silly question time, are you mounting the lowers inside of the turn signals or outside? I mount mine outside and have no clearance problems at all.

Mine Touch

When I put mine on I had the choice of mounting the lowers with the turn signal coming through the hole or sitting completely behind. I choose the tilt the lowers back a bit and allow the turn signal to protrude. Even though the deflector is clear, I wanted to be sure that all the head-on traffic could see the bulb blinking.

Also I thought it might help a tad bit with less wind resistence which should lead to a little better gas mileage. They do litely touch when I'm standing still but it just has a little flex to it as I turn hard right or left. Not enough for me to change but just be aware by not turning hard right or left.

Sorry you had to go through all that hassle but it sounds like you moved right into the "Git 'Er Done" mode. I too would like to see a few photos if you have them just to put in the FYI file.

outside??

vonbonds said:
OK, silly question time, are you mounting the lowers inside of the turn signals or outside? I mount mine outside and have no clearance problems at all.

I believe they are outside. If you look down the fork leg, the lexan (I presume) plate is straddling the lens of the turnsignal. I have them leaning back, just like Pianoman, but on full lock they don't touch the shroud, close, very close but no touchy. It's not the lower that I had the problem with, it was only the top clamp and only the interlocking tabs. They hit the shroud. Needless to say, it's a little chewed up but all is good now. Nuth'in like a little radiator adjustment.:eek: For a while I thought I was going to have to put a weld dimple on the frame tab to limit the turning arc to the right.

I don't actually know if they are supposed to be in a level plane with the forks straight or swept back a tad like I have them. Right now, they line up perfectly under the ends of the windshield. I guess swept back a little affords less wind resistance and maybe a fraction of a mile to the gallon versus straight in line with each other. I seem to have a nice pocket of still air right in front of my mug at 65 with them back. I'll try different angles and see what I like best.

I'll have to take some pictures of the lowers, I do have a good close up digital camera I just hope I can post 'em.

PianoMan said:
When I put mine on I had the choice of mounting the lowers with the turn signal coming through the hole or sitting completely behind. I choose the tilt the lowers back a bit and allow the turn signal to protrude. Even though the deflector is clear, I wanted to be sure that all the head-on traffic could see the bulb blinking.

Also I thought it might help a tad bit with less wind resistence which should lead to a little better gas mileage. They do litely touch when I'm standing still but it just has a little flex to it as I turn hard right or left. Not enough for me to change but just be aware by not turning hard right or left.

Sorry you had to go through all that hassle but it sounds like you moved right into the "Git 'Er Done" mode. I too would like to see a few photos if you have them just to put in the FYI file.

Pianoman:

I have mine just like yours though not quite as swept back as they don't touch the shroud. It's real close, maybe 1/8" or less. With the top clamp literally jammed against the underside of the lower triple clamp, the turnsignal is centered in the hole. I presume that's right as the instructions that came with the lowers left a little to be desired. Maybe I should have left the green film on them for some "special effects"

As far as "Git 'er Done", bending the upper mounts to attain clearance dosen't seem normal, but it worked and that's all that counts I guess. I do have a litle acne it the center part of the chrome shroud where the clamp was chewing on the right side, but if I don't tell anyone, no one will notice:eek: . Pictures will be forthcoming.

Back