Looks like they stop building Rockets??!!

Triumph manufacturing uses the lean model, minimal stock on hand orders are timed to arrive shortly before needed.

On the other hand there is some level of stock maintained in a or some warehouses, at least one in England.

Triumph will keep building most parts for quite a while. I have been able to order new parts for my 2002 Daytona, and my particular Daytona was only made in 2002 so parts are unique.

No reason to worry about parts in the next few years at least.

If'n you look to the Triumph site, there's literally zero difference between model years '16 and '17 except a $200 bump in price, for both the Roadster and Touring. The time may have arrived, regardless of new "2017" bikes in showrooms. When they're gone.....?
NO there are some changes and the extra $200 wont make a difference and the ROCKET scares a lot of the V TWIN riders oh oh to be and scary for the BIG BAD HARLEY AND INDIAN V TWIN riders FUNNY and then they spend $ 15000 trying to make 100 HP

Must produce parts for 10 years?
In the EU it is - but nobody insists that they be rationally priced. I have a mate in the UK who had to scrap a 9 year old car as a part was going to cost more than its book value.

Mind you some companies do play ball. Mercedes will supply any part for any car of any age. Usually they get the apprentice to do them as test pieces.

In the EU it is - but nobody insists that they be rationally priced. I have a mate in the UK who had to scrap a 9 year old car as a part was going to cost more than its book value.

Mind you some companies do play ball. Mercedes will supply any part for any car of any age. Usually they get the apprentice to do them as test pieces.
NO need to throw dirt on the ROCKET yet they have been selling better than ever AND There is no bike out there thats more fun than the deristricted and modded BIG HP BEASTS all the other bikes are sissy bikes in comparison I wonder what a 600 HP TURBO ROCKET can do in the 1/4 mile and top speed ?????

Last edited:
NO there are some changes and the extra $200 wont make a difference and the ROCKET scares a lot of the V TWIN riders oh oh to be and scary for the BIG BAD HARLEY AND INDIAN V TWIN riders FUNNY and then they spend $ 15000 trying to make 100 HP
What are the changes for 2017?

I was a bit surprised that the Triumph website actually hadn't even changed the pages for 2016 and 2017 model years; same images used, same text... and the same two versions of black offered for sale.

I really do not know what the status is outside the EU. Or even outside Spain. But I have an inside contact here in a LOW VOLUME (albeit mainstream marque) EUROPEAN MFR. And I know a key figure in the M/C mfrs guild.

Despite EURO4 being in effect (which the current R3 fails) a moratorium has been extended to SOME specific models where they are low local stock about. No new imports. He suspects that Triumph may have applied for this on prior to cutoff distribution. His company has applied and had some 30 bikes registered as Euro4 exempt IF they sell them this year. So far here R3 sold at a rate of 50/year max. But I doubt there are many left here to sell. The guild fellow will cannot say yes/no but suggests it is a fair supposition. ;)

Another loophole used is the bikes were all registered last year and dealer sold as 0KM vehicles. This happens with cars too - esp where dealers are not meeting quotas.

I know that many years ago Harley did something similar in Germany.

If Triumph have parts to build - I suspect they will use the parts they have and ship outside the EU - then availability will suddenly dry up.

Any Euro4 bike will be seriously castrated. I know the Guzzi California was castrated by over 50% to pass Euro4 WITH A BIG MARGIN. Lanfranconi achived over 25% more inside Euro4 with light exhaust mod's. But Guzzi elected to play safe and have no issues later.

Can't say I'm worried either way. I alway knew the R3 would be my last serious use bike. If it breaks/crashes or otherwise goes - it will get replaced with another old classic bike. 1980's vintage. And if things keep going the way they are now I'll have to reduce our motor pool anyway.

Last edited:
EURO 4 in 2018 shouldn't and won't mean gutless bikes. The technology is out there to keep increasing power by OEMs and still meet the regulation.

The sticky point is cost. If all motors go to higher compression fully forged internals, full ride by wire, variable cam timing, multipath intake manifolds, multi-cat, exhaust valve, premium gas only, better flowing higher velocity tumbling air heads with more quench, bigger mufflers, direct injection and lighter quieter valve trains the emissions and noise goals are easily achievable.

BUT who wants to pay 20k for a bike? Really, 20k is kind of a mental "OH HELL NO" mark in my mind, and I'm sure for many people. For anything to be viable at the 20k mark it needs to be special, like the H2 or Ducati 1299R/Superleggera.

BUT who wants to pay 20k for a bike?.
Not me - My R3 cost me 14,000Euros. And I only managed as dealers gave me top dollar for an old Softail I had. tbh it pains me to think our next car will be over 20K.

A problem with many bikes is they run like shyte at tickover if too lean because of low flywheel inertia.

Back