Coughs like it has covid-19.

I did all suggested and changed the fuel filter (could not blow much air through the old one) and she purrs like she is new again. Thank you so much Forum Gods for the support and the pictures.
How difficult was the fuel filter? Any tips! I have all the parts and have been procrastinating for far to long!

Recrimp the low voltage pair of wires on each coil, replace that fuel filter, replace the vacuum hoses and vacuum caps, balance the throttle bodies, and reload the tune....plus what everyone else says. If that doesn't do it, I suggest cycle trader or Ebay. 👍🤣

My bike hadn't been running right lately and then, yesterday, it cutout on me when I came to a stop. This morning I set out to do all of the above, but when I checked the vacuum caps I knew I had found my problem. Everyone of them was cracked. If your bike doesn't seem to be quite right, you may want to replace those caps if it's been a while. I obviously should have done that a lot sooner. Now she purrs like a kitten, but growls and is a holy terror if you pull her ear too hard- just like she used to be.
IMG_3641 copy.jpg

My bike hadn't been running right lately and then, yesterday, it cutout on me when I came to a stop. This morning I set out to do all of the above, but when I checked the vacuum caps I knew I had found my problem. Everyone of them was cracked. If your bike doesn't seem to be quite right, you may want to replace those caps if it's been a while. I obviously should have done that a lot sooner. Now she purrs like a kitten, but growls and is a holy terror if you pull her ear too hard- just like she used to be.
IMG_3641 copy.jpg
Great shot... Glad you got it sorted out and shared the diagnosis with the rest of the gang.

How difficult was the fuel filter? Any tips! I have all the parts and have been procrastinating for far to long!

It's not too bad. Run most of your fuel out before starting the job. I've reused the gasket before. Getting the float and filter out requires some maneuvering- just be gentle. You may want to change the fuel line (two short sections) that are attached to the filter. That's a special gas resistant hose you can order by the foot.
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 6.16.36 AM.png

Get replacement banjo washers for the fuel line to the underside of the tank. I've reused those in a pinch, but it would suck to have a leak.

I have the Roadster, so the procedure might be a little different. Triumph says, "To remove the pressure regulator, filter and pump, components must be removed in sequence, as follows"...... instructing you to then undo a bunch o' stuff, making it sound like a bigger ordeal that it actually is.

If you're just doing the fuel filter, at least for the Roadster, you can just leave the rest alone and unclip the hoses (replace them, or not) and insert the new filter in the correct orientation.

If you don't already have one, invest in a torque wrench that will do those low numbers (5Nm) to reinstall the plate.

Last edited:
I did all suggested and changed the fuel filter (could not blow much air through the old one) and she purrs like she is new again. Thank you so much Forum Gods for the support and the pictures.
Back at it again.
Changed the fuel filter... again, replaced the tps and the vacuum lines. When I was changing the plugs back to the non iridium I noticed that some of the plug wires are corroded. At least once a year I ride in a deluge (see Abbotsford bc flood 2021). Tried to scrape the connections and put in dielectric grease. Ran a lot better when hot but at cold, still missing and coughing. Any other suggestions? The bike runs smoothly when hot or 'under load'. Cold and cruising or coasting it is popping.

The ignition connections will need to be clean and tight, for sure.

Might be tracking. Have a look across the top of the cam cover in the dark, you might see a very thin and very fast arc, where the current jumps to earth of the engine or something due to not being able to get through either the HT lead or the spark plug.

Another possibility is the spark plug threads in the head, are they corroded?

That is a brilliant video! I spent the afternoon cleaning, scraping, tightening and putting a lot of DE grease in the low voltage connections to the coils. I ordered new HT. Leads from worldoftriumph.com. Will keep you posted.

Back