Looking to buy a Touring, years to avoid, differences in engine output between Touring and Roadster.

12919-2aaf99636860c1b8004e5c1d78431ad6.jpg
12869-a01fafe3f59b920c2602af13f9836a7e.jpg
Found one of the tuning maps from the ECU Flash.

I've had a 05 Standard and now a 14 Touring. The 14 felt heavier from the get go. The 14 handles easier than the 05. The tune is softer on the 14 but can be changed easily. The riding position on the 14 is more comfortable for me. I did 128000K on the 05 and now 54000k on the 14. Had some troubles with the 05, Gearshift spring, ignition switch, torsional damper bearings, also went through many back tires. Zero troubles with the 14. Just replaced Rear Michelin Commander 11 (30,000k) with a Commander111. Good luck on your search. Hope this helps.
I should have mentioned it up front, but riding position is a concern for me and a driver for the Touring, so long as I can get the performance to match the Roadster. I liked the riding position of my '12 Roadster...but the mid-mount controls did bother my knees after a while. It was bearable with highway pegs, but frankly, the forward-mounted floorboards of the Touring are something I look forward to. Feet-forward to me isn't as confidence-inspiring in the twisties to me, but a lot better for the long haul. I've found a couple that look appealing to me. Gotta figure out how to get a 4th bike in a small garage...........

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Last edited:
I've a 2012 touring . Have never had any problems with it . 80,000km (50,000) miles . 1st owner had it remapped so do not know what it was like originally .. At the moment it is at 120 hp ± Torq 130 ± . Good enough for me . There does not seem to be a major kinks with the touring . Hope you get one and have the chance of enjoying the ride .

I got a 2010 Touring in 2017. First thing I did was get some Rivco handle bar risers to bring the bars a bit closer. (I'm 5'9"). Then a Tachometer.
Later I started going nuts with add-ons. A longer clutch cable (a little more play from the handle bars being brought forward), but not necessary.
After about a year, getting used to how everything worked I remapped the ECU. Still later I replaced the silencers with TORS, and got a Ram-Air filter, which eliminated a bunch of stuff under the tank used to route the air from the old filter under the seat. Then I re-mapped again with the "NELS-TORS_RAMAIR-K&N" map found on here. Been happy ever since. I mean I can get from 80 to 110 mph before I can let loose from the throttle. (Secondary Butterfly valves are at 100% open all the time with that map, I think.)
Put in some Easter Beaver headlight relays at first, too. Noticed some burned, bypassed wires form the previous owner and didn't want to take a chance on that happening again.
Tried a solo seat for awhile, but went back to the original.
Still a heavy thing at standstill, but sweet on the street! I'm 69 but going to hang onto it as long as I can hold it and back it without falling over! I had a buyer two years ago, but could NOT get myself to let it go. Nothing I ever get will compare to a Rocket III. I was after a Classic, (bigger rear tire, tach, and double head lights) but got too good of deal on this Touring to pass up.
Have fun going for it!
IMG_2754.JPG
IMG_2756.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think your tuning shop is correct about that. All Rockets, '04 - '18 can be remapped through the OBD port.
My '14 R3T was unrestricted by the dealer tech who took me into the maintenance bay and showed me the wonders of TuneECU (I had not heard of it before) after he put on my new D&D pipes... made a HUGE difference...and an easy way to release the beasts potential.
-MIG

I should have mentioned it up front, but riding position is a concern for me and a driver for the Touring, so long as I can get the performance to match the Roadster. I liked the riding position of my '12 Roadster...but the mid-mount controls did bother my knees after a while. It was bearable with highway pegs, but frankly, the forward-mounted floorboards of the Touring are something I look forward to. Feet-forward to me isn't as confidence-inspiring in the twisties to me, but a lot better for the long haul. I've found a couple that look appealing to me. Gotta figure out how to get a 4th bike in a small garage...........

Thanks everyone for all the input.
For my back and hips, I find the touring lets me have the standard "chair" position (which is helpful) plus the room to move my feet and legs around for added comfort on longer hauls. ...and you'll make it fit :sneaky: :thumbsup: :cool:
-MIG

Back