Lets talk GPS!

RevT55

.020 Over
Wanting some ideas on GPS. Of course I like the Zumo 665. But, come on, $700-$800!!!
Will a car rated GPS work on a R3? I was thinking that a good tank bag would protect the GPS and could get set up for half the price. Plus the R3 runs smoother than most bikes, so vibration would not be an issue.
Would love feed back of successes, failures, and pics of what other guys are using. Hate the thought of usisng one, however on some tours I am doing need one.
Thanks,
REV

Gps

Car GPS works fine on a motorcycle. I have an older 765T that Ive had on my bike for 3 years now.
I can create a route on my computer at home and then download it into the GPS, this I find to be a very important feature that I need to use.
Some Garmin models can not do this.
I will need a new GPS soon and I am really interested in Tsmiths post that shows his GPS can hook up with the bikes computer to show different guages.
http://www.r3owners.net/custom-mods/10049-garmin-gauges-ecoroute.html

I have the 665 and it works great. Unless you really want XM then you could go with the 660 and it's cheaper.

Biggest drawback with the car gps is they are not water proof. you will have to take the chance of it getting soaked and killing it, or buy the case (I think it's sold on the ram mount site) they make to put the car gps in to protect it. One of the guys I ride with has this box. It sucks IMO. It's large, ugly, and the clear rubber front that's on it so you can still use the touch screen it very hard to see through during the day.

I've used a couple of car type Garmin units on BMWs and now the R3T. Never had a problem, but I do remove them in the rain.

If you need waterproof get the bike specific model. If not, get the one with the features you need.

I took my garmin 225 to maggie valley and worked perfectly, i rode in rain fro a few hours and it got wet some what, the windshield blocked some of the rain from it, i left it in there on porpouse to see what it would do, no problem with rain, visibility or anything, i was gonna put a plastic bag over it but didnt have to, vibration was not a problem either, hope this helps:)

So are most of the Garmins programable with your own routes? Not always interested in taking the quickest routes. Infact in most cases I just want to be able to plan the trip on my laptop and then load on the GPS.
Also, what about power sources, USB cables etc. I understand some of them may have inner batteries but only for a few hours.

Gps

I have a 12 volt powered weatherproof accessorie plug mounted with zip ties to my right engine guard. Heres an example 12v 12 volt MOTORCYCLE, ATV, SNOWMOBILE POWER OUTLET (# 12VLG) 5 ft. (60in.) long ...Made in the USA I have a USB adapter plugged into that for the GPS.
There are various programs for mapping a route on your desktop or laptop.
This is my favourite as its very easy to use.Harley-Davidson - Ride Planner
You will need to register to access it.
I use it a lot as I am the ride planner for my bike club.

Running a navigon (back when they sold them in the states) with a modified split collar (to fit the handlebars) and use a portion of the car mount....works great for what I do.......:D

mutt

Back