Paul Jacobs

Bald is best
Hi can anyone explain why when I have replaced the rear indecators with clear LED's and a new resistor the dash indecator light only dims and brightens not the normal on/off?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Mate i've just learnt to live with all the weird stuff my indicators do... i haven't even got L.E.Ds , just clear lenses and painted bulbs . It has gone ape**** since day one ... flashes twice the speed it should.

Hi Paul, long time no see, I think your problem has something to do with the power usage of the LED blubs but I sure someone will come along with the answer.

this might explain why you're having problems.

led's comes from the term "Light Emitting Diode". now the diode part of it is a check valve allowing current to only flow in one direction. if you wire them in the wrong polarity, they'll prevent current to pass through the led itself. polarity is very important when led's are concerned. led's also require less current than standard filament bulbs, so in order for them to flash properly a ballast resistor has to be used in line. it's not nearly as confusing as it might sound.

Hi can anyone explain why when I have replaced the rear indecators with clear LED's and a new resistor the dash indecator light only dims and brightens not the normal on/off?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Can you expand on how you fitted the resistor/load equalizer? What kind did you use? Where did you wire it in? etc.?

LED's are very sensitive to how they are wired up. Kury makes special note in their instruction when fitting to bikes with a single light indicator.

I fitted this when I went to LEDs: https://www.denniskirk.com/kuryakyn/2-amp-load-equalizer.p211868.prd/211868.sku

This is why when I changed to the kuryaykyn silver bullets I when with halogen . They look the same as the led model and are very bright but no hot equalizer needed . And they work great

Strange I was expecting trouble even bought a electronic flasher relay when I fitted LED ( bought from SuperCheap) rear indicators but have no issues relay still sitting in tool box

Back