lean or rich, maybe something else?

I got this sorted finally!

I found I had targets in the zero column of the PCV, so it was running stupid rich at idle. I changed that column and the 500rpm column to zeros as another map I had was. That didn’t actually completely cure the problem though.

I cleaned the crank position sensor and found the bottom of my oil pan to be disgusting. The sensor was not at all bad, four or five whiskers to wipe away. But that wasn’t really it either.

What I found to be the primary culprit was the gear position sensor. Mine seems to have been made from non-up stabilized plastic so it had turned grayish and brittle and the case was cracked. I have pics on my phone to post, but I’m posting from my phone right now and struggle with it at times. When I got the sensor out and gave it a twirl it felt like gravel! I blasted the hell out of it with contact cleaner and then drowned it with lubricant oil.

Test run successful!!

New sensor on order from Bike Bandit. We shall see how well things go from here.

Many thanks to laviger for all of his assistance in this!!

It started doing it again. Not as bad but still there. Possibly the vr2303 error in my PCV-AT. Email to powercommander has been sent

@rash_powder How far from stock is your bike, which intake and exhuast, any engine work?

If its not too vastly different from stock, thinking maybe try pulling the PC-V out and see if it runs with just the R3T_Slip tune file. That tune usually runs great right out of the box. If it still does it then, you know at least its not a PC-V issue. If it stops, great, you know where the problem lies.

Should it prove to continue stalling I think you've hit most of the things that normally cause these types of issues. The 0% throttle column and 500, 750, 1000 RPM rows should all be 0 in the AFR target table in the PC-V. It does a terrible job down there of fueling properly.

I have the triple k&n airfilters and tors fitted. In the ECU is the power Tripp map, and I transferred the air fuel targets to the pcv+at.

The powercommander seems to be in and out of error quite often - two to three times a minute I would guess. I have emailed them regarding this.

I did not know about the 750 and 1000 rows needing to be zero. I went for a test ride last night and got some auto tune trims to look at later. I will see what they look like and clear the Other two rows.

Ok there’s some of the issue, copying the AFR table from TuneECU into the PC-V.

I’ll do up a couple of files in a bit and link here that will fix you up. The data from TuneECU and PC-V do not and should not transfer over as straightforward as it might seem they should.

AT modules have significant limitations that need to be worked around.

@rash_powder

Can I suggest you try these two files? Hanso's tunes are good and functional, but Nel's is made on a very well calibrated dyno and he's an amazing tuner, it also happens to be the same modifications you have on your Rocket:

TuneECU File:
Touring Tune by Nels at TwoWheelDynoWorks

Power Commander File:
Generic PC-V Base Map

You'll then know it's not running lean, or excessively rich and you can focus elsewhere for the hunt on stalling. This may actually fix the stalling, but if it doesn't, the Tune is not the issue.

You may want to update the PCV also. Sometimes refreshing the software helps. Be sure your map is backed up on your computer, so you can reload it after.

I do have the current firmware in the pcv. Powercommander got back to me and said the vr2303 is a code indicating loss of the crank sensor signal. I haven’t had a chance to look at things the last few days as, well, life happens.

Bike bandit hasn’t been able to indicate a shipped or processed order for the gear position sensor, so I can’t completely rule any problems from that out yet.

Tonight I will inspect wiring and make sure I have the crank sensor in the correct port and plug and such. Hopefully, anyway.

Back