lean or rich, maybe something else?

rash_powder

Supercharged
Ride
2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring
I got to take the bike for a test run last night after a few weeks of crazy crazy running home life.

I've got PowerTripp's tune in the ECU and I made a matching tune to load in my PCV+AT. The test run last night went great. Everything seemed to be running very good except for one thing. When coming to a stop sign on the highway and coasting up, the bike stalled. Also, and I am guessing these are the same thing, when I pulled in the driveway and shifted from first to neutral it stalled. Neutral to first did the same thing.

Could I be running too rich or lean at idle? How would I tell?

Thanks!

It will idle in first or neutral if I start it there, it seems to be the transition from first to neutral or neutral to first. It seems to fair a little better going into first than coming out. If it were carbureted I would say the idle is set too low.

Do I have to reset the adaptive to do a twelve minute tune, or will the ECU take the tune without?

The 12 minute tune will help if your O2 sensor is enabled in the tune you’re using. The stalling shifting into neutral is a combination of fueling, TPS adjustment, and ignition table.

Maybe this is related and maybe not.

I had my handlebars *all* apart as I was attempting to mount a set of riser blocks and got the wrong ones. So silly me I followed the directions as best I could figuring they were the type where one set of instructions covered multiple installation/models. Anyway.... throttle grip was all apart and I think I have it set correctly.

That said, what is the correct process for setting the throttle cable adjusters? I have it back where the free twist is about what it was prior to me messing with things.

My TPS was around .05v off, and took about 2 turns of the idle motor nut to bring into spec. I believe I now need to adjust the arm that rides the idle motor, correct? is there a tutorial somewhere for that? I followed TuneECU TPS and ISC Stepper Adjustment - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums to adjust the TPS.

Thank you much Claviger!!

Very welcome sir. Just make sure you're doing it right and shooting for 0.6 volts when you've clicked the "Adjust ISCV" button in TuneECU and not when the bike is powered on but not doing the reset function. When you simply connect TuneECU and look at the sensor value without clicking "Adjust ISCV" it should be something like 0.62-0.64 ish.

The 0.72 value for the second part is important, but not AS important to have bang on as the 0.60 volt portion of the adjustment, just get it close. Mine for example are 0.60 and 0.69 or 0.70 depending on the alignment of the planets lol.

I didn't get a chance to report my test ride results last night.

It still stalls out as it did before, but now seems a bit harder to start and I swear it idles higher.

When I adjusted the stepper motor nut, I had to back it out. The amount I turned it out would most certainly have used up the .5mm gap between the stepper arm and the throttle roller. By what means do I get that gap back? I see from diagrams that there is a manual screw for the throttle, do I adjust that for the .5mm? That may actually increase what I am seeing as a potentially higher idle. Tonight I will connect the laptop and verify this.

Would it be better to adjust the highpoint of the tps to get that .5mm? I would no longer have the .72V TPS high point then.

Going with this and just to trouble shoot things - would any bad come from copying the ignition table from I3 (its the same as I1 & I2) to the In table? I can see that the timing is a bit different, but at idle/no load it should be ok, correct? I am thinking to try it as it runs great in first gear if i start it in first, and it seems my problems come from the first/neutral and neutral/first shifts.

I haven't removed the TPS to check if it is blue or black. Is it likely to be black on an 08?

Thanks again for all the help!! Love this forum, the people, and the willingness to help.

Many of us are running tunes with a single map for all four ignition tables, the stock I1 table is super retarded which will certainly not help the situation.

A few other things to check, the rubbers connecting the throttle bodies to the cylinder head, a few members have found leaks there which caused issues.

The vacuum lines between the throttle bodies and sensor, similarly if leaking can cause problems.

Back