Tonyf1973

Standard Bore
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Tourer
Been riding for 30 years and decided to buy a Rocket 3 Tourer during my 3 years in California. I was out on her fornthe first time this weekend on some great twisty roads and as I went around a left hander some part of the bike caught the road. I assumed this was the riders footplate, but when I got back I noticed the underside of the front part of muffler/exhaust pipe was scuffed. I also had a pillion passenger onboard. I was under the impression the footplate would catch first, is thisnormallynthe case or not or could it be I had the extra weight that brought the back end down more than normal. My pillion is just an average weight, as am I.

My muffler has a grind spot on the bottom, too,but it's not stock, it's the Carpenter Brute pipe, definitely touches first

WELCOME! to our R3 family from Miami... "3 Years" is reminiscant of a PCS tour. I haven't had this issue, partially due to a lack of available curves... but I believe my upgraded pipes are stock or near stock dimensions. I'd verify the shocks pre-load setting just to make sure it's where you want it. Any photos?
-MIG

12.5 stock and 12in shocks will get you to the rub plates on floorboards and into pipes. 13 13.5 its hard to get into the pipe but you can and when you do those moments tend to be quiet interesting. Thats talking stock tire, put a 200/60 on the rear and it changes a little.

. I was out on her for the first time this weekend on some great twisty roads and as I went around a left hander some part of the bike caught the road. I assumed this was the riders footplate, but when I got back I noticed the underside of the front part of muffler/exhaust pipe was scuffed. I also had a pillion passenger onboard. My pillion is just an average weight, as am I.
I think the bold part is your issue, either the pre-load on the shocks wasn't set for the both of you or they are just tired stock shocks. My 13 Touring was "mushy" at best with stock shocks and springs. I would routinely scrape the left floorboard on a particular turn, even easier with my wife riding with me. I added some Progressive shocks and fork springs and it made a world of difference in stability and handling. It doesn't seem as "mushy" when cornering a little aggressively, yea that's it, aggressively.

bob

Back