Just Installed A Tachometer On My R3T

I just installed the Koso GP tach. The setup instructions are erroneous. The number of cylinders must be set to ONE (1) not three as the instructions state, because the engine uses 3 seperate coils.
That is all. :cool:

image.jpeg

I just installed the Koso GP tach. The setup instructions are erroneous. The number of cylinders must be set to ONE (1) not three as the instructions state, because the engine uses 3 seperate coils.
That is all. :cool:

image.jpeg

Yup...I believe it was covered in the thread. When set it to "one" you are actually are reading just one coil trigger representing one complete firing cycle. It's pretty easy to set as the engine would be running around 800 RPMs during the setup. When the tach indicates that number of RPMs at idle you are there. Logically, I ignored all the other setting as I treated it as a single cylinder engine since each cylinder has it's own coil. The only time it would be a problem would be if a single coil fired multiple cylinders or the coil triggered more than once during a complete firing cycle.

FYI...One other thing...The tach "must" be hooked directly to the batteries pos/neg connections before power is applied to the power wire that triggers the tach on. Failure to do so will cause a faulty delayed slow sweep, inaccurate readings and the needle will not return to zero when powered off. I discovered this when attempting to power the tach using the supply voltage powered on from a PDM60. Simultaneously applying power and trigger pn power is a no no! I returned the tach to it's own separate fused supply and all was good once again. BTW, not the fault of the PDM60. It's just the way things need to be to work.

Last edited:
After all the fuss, you'll find you spend 90% of your time between 2 and 3 thousand Rpms.

True, but one cannot have enough cool toys on ones bike can one? Plus, now I can get a pretty good idea of what my speed is by not having to glance down at the stupid tank mounted speedometer. Whoever decided that was a good or cool idea on a motorcycle is an idiot!

"FYI...One other thing...The tach "must" be hooked directly to the batteries pos/neg connections before power is applied to the power wire that triggers the tach on."

That part is clearly stated in the instructions:
image.png

Dangit guys but I don't want to read the entire 800 posts on this thread. The question is; does it work?

Off course it works. Hook it up according to the instructions and the instructions here in the thread and off you go. I mounted the tach using a 1" P-Clamp on the handlebar. A positive and negative wire run direct from your battery to the tach, a wire supplying power from your ignition (I used the tailight wire for the power) and one wire to the ignition coil terminal.

I did all the work buying, installing and proving it will work, so feel confident in spending the money for one. I believe at least 6 or more people have set up one up on their bike. The setup/programming instructions on the sheet can be a little confusing, but others have made an effort here in the thread to help explain them. Ask @Joesmoe about his if you like.

Enjoy!

Back