Just Installed A Tachometer On My R3T

A quick note for everybody. I have just scored yet another 60% discounted KOSO revcounter on Amazon. I am a fan of the little 48mm DIGI-DARK one for projects.

Immediately afterwards the price went back up to full. Anybody thinking of buying a gauge - just keep looking on Amazon.

It depends on whether you have corrected the speed of you speedometer speed in the ECU. Stock, the speedometer reads about 3-4 miles faster than you are actually going. At 70 you are doing around 2800 RPM.
Thanks. That is right there at peak torque isn't it?

Thanks. That is right there at peak torque isn't it?

That would depend on whose dyno chart you look at.
The charts I have seen posted here put the max torque starting at around 2500 rpm all the way up to aeound 4500 rpm on some dyno runs. In any event, the torque monster will do you well at 2800 rpm. Not to worry, as you will be good.

That would depend on whose dyno chart you look at.
The charts I have seen posted here put the max torque starting at around 2500 rpm all the way up to aeound 4500 rpm on some dyno runs. In any event, the torque monster will do you well at 2800 rpm. Not to worry, as you will be good.
I am thinking that Triumph engineers just might have gotten this gearing right. My roadstar bumps 2500 at 70 and cruises easy but that is the max torque spot. HP increases after that but torque falls off a bit. I am still getting used to my R3T and really do want to keep this bike. It is IMHO, the most beautiful bike I have owned. I plan on doing some engineering to relocate the floorboards for more room.

Uh oh. I think I like those gear indicators, too.
I checked your link and read up on the installation and user docs.

I did not realize that the little box will also do the "Timing Retard Eliminator" thingy. That may have just tipped the scale in favor of!

Will the ATRE affect the TuneECU maps? The install instructions do not seem to be to difficult other than having to get under the tank and finding the Rear Brake light switch connector for the switched power wire.
Or I could connect it to the same wire I have the switched Tachometer wire connected to (rear Brake Light) I guess.
  • "We recommend tapping the Orange/Green (orange with thin
  • green stripe) wire at the 2-pole rear brake light switch connector (the
  • second wire in this connector is Green/Purple, do not use that)."
Does ATRE make a good difference?
Even then, it would be nice to know where I am in the Gear situation rather than going by RPM's.

One last question, will it make it possible to use 6th gear? :roll::roll::roll:

Uh oh. I think I like those gear indicators, too.
I checked your link and read up on the installation and user docs.

I did not realize that the little box will also do the "Timing Retard Eliminator" thingy. That may have just tipped the scale in favor of!

Will the ATRE affect the TuneECU maps? The install instructions do not seem to be to difficult other than having to get under the tank and finding the Rear Brake light switch connector for the switched power wire.
Or I could connect it to the same wire I have the switched Tachometer wire connected to (rear Brake Light) I guess.
  • "We recommend tapping the Orange/Green (orange with thin
  • green stripe) wire at the 2-pole rear brake light switch connector (the
  • second wire in this connector is Green/Purple, do not use that)."
Does ATRE make a good difference?
Even then, it would be nice to know where I am in the Gear situation rather than going by RPM's.

One last question, will it make it possible to use 6th gear? :roll::roll::roll:

When looking for a switched wire I used my taillight wire which is yellow. You will find that wire under the right side cover behind the ECU on the R3T. You will find the taillight/brakelight connector there. The harness isn't overly long so I separated the connector, removed some of the harness tape, strip some of the yellow wire insulation away an "soldered" a wire splice to the yellow wire. I taped the wiring back up and put the connector backed together. I have had no issues using that wire as a switched voltage source.

Back