Jardines and Stock Airfilter

XhdR3rider

.020 Over
Well, just got the Jardines installed. Glad I don't have to do that again:(

I expect my tuneboy by mid-week. What would be the best tune for the Jardine-stock air cleaner configuration? I seem to remember somewhere reading the 20050_2 tune?

Also wondering if there's any dynos near Fresno who use or would learn to use tuneboy?

Appreciate any help I can get and thanks,

Steve

Well, just got the Jardines installed. Glad I don't have to do that again:(

I expect my tuneboy by mid-week. What would be the best tune for the Jardine-stock air cleaner configuration? I seem to remember somewhere reading the 20050_2 tune?

That's for TOR's - probably a bit lean for jardines.

Thanks Doug.

I just went back to the TB website. 20050_3 may be richer/closer to my config. I'll wait for some expert feedback:bch:
Steve

Thanks Doug.

I just went back to the TB website. 20050_3 may be richer/closer to my config. I'll wait for some expert feedback:bch:
Steve

The 20050_3 tune is for TOR's + Unifilters - could work. The 20145_1 is Jardines + Unifilters - too rich for you.

Tuneboy lets you open the secondary plates 100% all the time. All of these tunes do this - so it's good you're getting Tuneboy.

Finding a DynoJet tuner to tune with Tuneboy could be a problem. You should get it dynoed with 20050_3 and 20145_1 and see what you get. If you don't like either of these and can't find anyone to tune with Tuneboy, you still have the option of overlaying one of these tunes with a PCIII and getting a custom map for that.

Well, I got my Tuneboy cable and key tonight. I downloaded 20050_3. It runs very strong, but pops like an SOB on decel. It was dark and late, so I didn't want to make a bunch of noise and call attention to myself, but a mile on a divided highway, OMG:D:D:D

My setup again: Jardines, underseat stock aircleaner. Am I close enough, and if not, am I rich or lean. I plan on getting an underseat K&N filter soon.

Thanks,

Steve

Well, I got my Tuneboy cable and key tonight. I downloaded 20050_3. It runs very strong, but pops like an SOB on decel. It was dark and late, so I didn't want to make a bunch of noise and call attention to myself, but a mile on a divided highway, OMG:D:D:D

My setup again: Jardines, underseat stock aircleaner. Am I close enough, and if not, am I rich or lean. I plan on getting an underseat K&N filter soon.

Thanks,

Steve

It's hard to say if you're lean or rich. You have freer flowing pipes than the TOR's but less free flowing intake than the Unifilters, even with the K&N under seat. Your A/F should be 13-14. Check it on a dyno. However, the popping on decel is in the L tables. Copy all of the L tables from the following tune into your yours They're based on stuff I did with Wayne. Let me know if it helps.

http://www.r3owners.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=41&d=1155692504

Doug is on the money - you're just gonna have to dyno to find out.

If you're looking for some ideas, I'll put in my two cents:
I'm guessing that you're gonna be somewhat rich in the mid to high RPMs because the stock intake just cannot compete with 3 unifilters (Wayne used 3 unifilters on the 20050_3 tune.). I'm thinking that the low to mid RPMs will be a bit lean, however, because of the O2 sensor, and the popping seems to confirm that. Besides, I don't remember Wayne doing any changes in the low to mid RPMs on 20050_3. If he did, they were quite minimal.

And I'm gonna again second Doug on the dyno - it's gonna be real rough for you to get Tuneboy custom mapped.

Good luck on things and keep us posted.

Even with all of the fiddlin', piddlin' and screamin'... if you leave the O2 sensor plugged in you are still going to have poppin' on decel...perhaps to a lesser degree.

The adaption process is going to lean out most, if not all, of your changes to 'fattin' up the deceleration regions on the maps unless you put in an O2 eliminator plug to stop the engine from adapting.

Definitely trying to run the "Uni-Tune" for Jardines without Uni's is not ideal... you'll be really rich and you'll have flat spots. Take a look at the 'graphical' representations of the tune for each map and you'll see what I mean.... Even K&Ns won't work that well... Uni's flow better.

If you are content with your current setup... go find a dyno shop that'll work with you. It's going to be the only way to "get it right" for your setup.

Even with all of the fiddlin', piddlin' and screamin'... if you leave the O2 sensor plugged in you are still going to have poppin' on decel...perhaps to a lesser degree.

The adaption process is going to lean out most, if not all, of your changes to 'fattin' up the deceleration regions on the maps unless you put in an O2 eliminator plug to stop the engine from adapting.

Definitely trying to run the "Uni-Tune" for Jardines without Uni's is not ideal... you'll be really rich and you'll have flat spots. Take a look at the 'graphical' representations of the tune for each map and you'll see what I mean.... Even K&Ns won't work that well... Uni's flow better.

If you are content with your current setup... go find a dyno shop that'll work with you. It's going to be the only way to "get it right" for your setup.

I don't think you can take out the O2 sensor unless your replace it with the PCIII sensor bypass. Then you need to adjust the tune for this. Without a PCIII, this could be a *****.

I was thinking about putting my unifilters back in but there have been several posts about cruddy buildups in the throttle bodies from the oil in these filters.

Well, first I want to thank everyone for all the advice. Unfortunately, I had to take the Jardines off. I thought they went on OK, but they leaked and I couldn't get them to seal within the proper torque, or more torque for that fact. Even to the point of begining to bend the flanges. I don't have the time or patience to fart around with them when 6 feet away sat the stock pipes, which work perfectly. I have less than 500 miles on it and want to ride it and not tinker with it. So the Jardines go over in the "no-man's land" part of my garage until I feel like messing with them. They plain didn't fit right. That's about it. Even my Rinehart TDs went on easier than these Jardines.:mad:

So I wanted to say thanks and now I'll go find a tune that opens up the secondary and fixes the speed error with cat and stockers. Oh well, I can still concentrate on shocks and saddlebags:bch:

Steve

Back