I have one, but use it only when I need it. Just don't care for the extra weight carried around when not needed the vast majority of the time, and certainly not while moving.

I certainly grant the "insurance" aspect point to folks who suggest that the need to lift the bike when one is away could be problematic without such support.

Your post got me curious about how much the lift plate weighs so I did some approximate measurements(16" X 3" X .25") with a tape and ran them through a steel plate weight calculator. I got 3.4 lbs. That's about the weight of a half gallon of gas so I figure I've offloaded that lift plate weight by the time I've ridden 15 -20 miles. So, from my narrow point of view the weight is inconsequential. Besides that if I took the junk I never use out my saddlebags my bike might launch me into orbit......so a little extra weight may help keep me grounded, so to speak. ;)

RockOn is nearly SpotOn. I just weighed the R3 bracket and hardware. Actual weight is under 4 pounds.
A night on the town might add that to your waistline.
It seems totally inconsequential to an 1,000 lbs. of bike with a 200 lb. rider!

I replaced a bunch of bolts on the bike with titanium versions, so yes, four lbs I don't need is consequential.

You go your way, and I'll go mine.

RockOn is nearly SpotOn. I just weighed the R3 bracket and hardware. Actual weight is under 4 pounds.
A night on the town might add that to your waistline.
It seems totally inconsequential to an 1,000 lbs. of bike with a 200 lb. rider!

I must say that I had to chuckle at the thought of not installing it on a torque monster machine because of extra weight. I noted no difference in performance avter installing it :roll:

I must say that I had to chuckle at the thought of not installing it on a torque monster machine because of extra weight. I noted no difference in performance avter installing it :roll:

I figure after losing 70 pounds (which is the best weight reduction for a motorcycle) I could bolt it on and leave it. I like the thought that it is on there in case I need to lift the bike in some place away from home.

bob

How’s does it attach to the bike? From the photo it looks as if the bike I sent being lifted by the pan?
Thanks

It mounts with existing holes and bolts that are on the bike. Although it still may put some weight on the bottom of the engine, most of the lifting pressure will be in the bracket depending on your lift and how you position the lift. It just gives you a nice strong flat surface to lift on keeping most of the weight off the bottom of the engine.

It mounts with existing holes and bolts that are on the bike. Although it still may put some weight on the bottom of the engine, most of the lifting pressure will be in the bracket depending on your lift and how you position the lift. It just gives you a nice strong flat surface to lift on keeping most of the weight off the bottom of the engine.

Get a scissor jack and lift it off the plate. I use a front fork bike lever lift as stabilizer. This is for tire change, break service, oil change, exhaust work and so on. You can lift it like that and remove the bottom oil pan for service. If it needs to be taller it goes to the lift table or the shop.

JBQ really recommends the 2 rail jack for the R3. A scissor jack can only lift the rear wheel.
Bob

Back