Is this TPS or stepper motor? or something else altogether

I see what you mean and cannot find anything about itin the manual. It could be utilized with the sageman or one of the other ecu's and not the Keihin ecu. I have my suspicions but neither have to do with your problem which is the tps is loosing track of its position and thus all of a sudden sends a wrong voltage to the ecu and it makes the stepper motor bump the idle up.

yeah makes sense, to the dealer for the recall see if they replace TPS, otherwise i know what i will be doing on my next weekend off.

yeah makes sense, to the dealer for the recall see if they replace TPS, otherwise i know what i will be doing on my next weekend off.
There is no recall on them in fact if yours is a original 05 it held up quite good and deserves to be retired. :)

yeah not the TPS directly but their saying a high idle problem so hopefully the service manager can be nudged into replacing it for nought worth a try anyway

So my bike when i'm riding my bike it is excellent but lately once i take it past 3k in rev's it decides to stay there like cruise control.Somtime t even increases rev's with no hand on the throttle. It is a 2006 classic, Ramair, three into one exhaust. secondaries are removed running ECU tune ending in 28. I have hooked it up to ECU tune and TPS is Green and no error code come up. If its the stepper motor are they a closed unit or can it be pulled apart and cleaned maybe as they are 300 plus bucks here. I have wd40'ed the bejeezus out of all surrounding throttle springs,cables etc. any ideas would be great as it can get a bit hairy going into twisties with the rev's so high.
Sounds like you need to remove your gear position sensor which is down near the starter, and simply give it a cleaning! Only my opinion big guy; "Be Safe"

Haha so bikes in at the dealer, for its recall. He said proably wont fix the problem, I said well its probably the TPS, he says mmmmmm maybe but more likely the be the throttle body motor. Haha then say cant use 2nd hand one as they never work then hits me with $2000.00 replacement cost. Any going the parts department to order a TPS. Will be the last time i go to the dealer

Haha so bikes in at the dealer, for its recall. He said proably wont fix the problem, I said well its probably the TPS, he says mmmmmm maybe but more likely the be the throttle body motor. Haha then say cant use 2nd hand one as they never work then hits me with $2000.00 replacement cost. Any going the parts department to order a TPS. Will be the last time i go to the dealer

Yeah... it's sad that people recur to those tactics to make a buck. Second hand TPS, not worth it. Bad stepper motor, o_O I don't know. Just order a new TPS and we'll get you up and running. These bikes get the gremlins so don't get frustrated if changing the TPS is not a Lazarus cure.

so got the bike back, recall done, obviosly the throttle body must have been ok cause when i went in to get the bike service manager just says has it got a tune in it, i said yes he said it's running rich then turns away like i'm wasting his time, anyway I count the opinions of the people on here who have been riding these bikes for years way more than some guy who just want to MAKE ABUCK. needless to say a TPS is on order. thanks everyone for there help

so got the bike back, recall done, obviosly the throttle body must have been ok cause when i went in to get the bike service manager just says has it got a tune in it, i said yes he said it's running rich then turns away like i'm wasting his time, anyway I count the opinions of the people on here who have been riding these bikes for years way more than some guy who just want to MAKE ABUCK. needless to say a TPS is on order. thanks everyone for there help

Did the recall fix the idle issue?

Ok it might be the old recall for a reflash of the ecu map. Which is old and should have been done unless you already are running a different map. Then it don't matter. Now if your primary TPS is original you can get a new installed correctly and well go ride and enjoy.

Back