Is fork dipping when front brakes applied at very slow speed normal?

when i was young i had a 650 bsa and i could set at the light with my feet on the pegs and just release clutch for a few inches of travel and do that for minutes.
now i am 71 and my balance is not very good. i have the same problems as some of u. it has improved in the 25000 miles of riding rocket but coming back from camping with tent,sleeping bag,small suit case and ice chest (i know grapes of wraft) stopping scares the **** out of me.
thanks for the spring info i have been thinking the the spring were a little to soft.
for what its worth i have been almost over and hit the throttle and it will come up u just have to have the roam when u hit the throttle.

Changing the springs and oil did the trick for mine although I did not go the progressive route I suspect it would make a difference along with the adjustable compression and high speed rebound dampening.

What's involved in changing the front springs, is it as simple as top caps of old out and new in with an oil change to boot?

I have a lift so can get the weight off the front, it's on my list of upgrades to do but having never touched the forks I've always been wary.

had the same experience with spring compression, too soft!
finally got new progressive springs with 7lb oil.
no more diving!
handling is better, stiffer, more responsive and also soaks up bumps better.
change the springs!

had the same experience with spring compression, too soft!
finally got new progressive springs with 7lb oil.
no more diving!
handling is better, stiffer, more responsive and also soaks up bumps better.
change the springs!

I too feel your pain........... this is a big lump to master! Not a R3T but a 04 standard and my front end felt like a pogo stick.
Just installed Progressive springs and 7.5w oil, still felt soft and being a complete muppet I had fitted the seals the wrong way around so while honing my front fork rebuilding skills I dumped that and went with 10 W, still a little soft for my taste but way better than previously ,probably didn’t help only having 500ml of oil in when drained either!

What's involved in changing the front springs, is it as simple as top caps of old out and new in with an oil change to boot?

I have a lift so can get the weight off the front, it's on my list of upgrades to do but having never touched the forks I've always been wary.
Progressive springs and 10wt oil transformed my roadster . Not a difficult job , but you will wanna remove the forks to do it . Hardest part is compressing the springs , more inventive captains have used ratchet straps or brute force . I use a fork compressing tool . Once caps are off and springs and oil removed , it's just a matter of pumping the damper rod as you put the new oil in and carefully setting the air gap before chucking in the new springs and reassembling

Currently doing the get out a practice and using the back brake has worked for me. Still need more time on the bike - and this gives me a great excuse to keep getting out on her.:cool:

ZoneIII you should see me going around slow corners and in traffic - I must look like a bucking bronco with cocktail sticks for stabilisers:eek::laugh:

Plan on upgrading the rear and front shocks with Hagon Nitros, but will need to wait for the funds to build up.:thumbsup:

'Telescopic forks' are a very real peeve of mine. Right up there with anemic .50cent OEM horns on $15,000, 150+mph motorcycles.
Equipping a 500+ pound motorcycle with Telescopic forks is like a modern Ferrari equipped with leaf-springs and solid rear axle. A GD Leading-link(Google-Greeves motorcycles) would be preferable to putting those innately flawed bazooka barrels and maintenance intensive steering stem & bearings on the R3.
I rode a Saxxon Motodd(Telelever) equipped BMW R1100 120,000 miles before needing to replace its single spring-over-shock shock absorber. And NO other related maintenance was ever required.
I still ride a 2006 manufactured K1200R Hossack(Duo-lever) equipped BMW, and the 'Non-diving', bump-steer immune front suspension performs as good as the day I purchased it 62,000 miles ago.
And despite the initial oversights in Honda's 2018 Goldwing being found by some Beta-testers; Honda's choice to incorporate a "Hossack" style front end is much the reason for its greatly improved handling at ALL speeds.
I don't know if it's corporate 'bean-counters' or that motorcyclists are largely Luddites demanding the only front suspension they ubiquitously know. But either way; every buyer/Bike is hobbled by it.

Last edited:
Back