Installing the 50cent Flipmeister Throttle friction Lock

Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
OK. Raymond seems happy with his and mine has been in service for over a year with no problems whatsoever so here goes....
Contrary to Flakebuster, there is no way the washer will wrinkle up or come out. It can't. It's attached to the mandrel within the bar end.

You'll need some tools. We all have tools right?
4mm hex key-Folks down south call 'em Allen wrenches. Machinists call them hex keys.
5mm hex key
A small pair of sharp scissors...... I use my Swiss Army knife scissors but if your wife has a pair of small sharp scissors borrow them and don't tell her.
The 50 cent rubber washer (explained in the text.)

The title of the thread is somewhat misleading. My device won't lock the throttle. That's downright dangerous. All it does is relieve the spring tension the throttle spring applies to the throttle cables and hence, the twist grip. It's a very simple device. Basically, it's a rubber washer 3/16" thick by 1-1/4" outside diameter. It's important that the outside diameter is 1-1/4" because the washer has to make contact with the twist grip barrel without protruding beyond the outside diameter of the twist grip itself. That's one thing I don't care for with the Kayco or Caro or whatever it's called. It has a fluted ring that's actually larger than the twist grip. With my device, nothing protrudes to catch your hand. besides, I'm retired and basically cheap, so with the prices of bling over the top, I like inexpensive solutions and this is inexpensive to say the least.:D

You can obtain a washer at Lowes or the hardware store. A pair at Lowes (you'll have an extra one for a spare) costs 95 cents. Single washers at ACE Hardware are 50 cents each.

The inside diameter of the washer will have to be modified somewhat. Most of the washers have a little 1/4" diameter hole in the middle that has to be enlarged to fit over the center post of the stock bar end. Make it a tight fit. I make 4 radial cuts at 90 degrees apart and then cut the diagonally to increase the diameter. Once you get her opened up, slip it on the center post and re-attach the bar end using a 4mm hex key.

This is the important step.
You need to loosen the barrel of the switchgear (where all the switches are) just slightly, using a 5mm hex key and then either slide it toward the centerline of the bike or toward the end of the bar top obtain the tension you desire on the twistgrip. I just loosen one socket cap screw slightly and then apply a twisting motion to the whole assembly to move it. You don't want to move it much. A slight movement will have a big effect.

I like mine set so there is easy movement in the twist grip but you may prefer it somewhat tighter. The 50 cent Flipmeister makes it a joy to ride on long trips as the throttle spring on the Rock will eventually cause your fingers to become numb. With the Flipmeister installed, you can momentarily release the throttle grip while in motion without the throttle snapping closed. An added bonus that I found out quite accidentally on the trip back from Nashville is that if you are going along and for some reason you want the throttle to instantly return to an idle, all you have to do is grip the bar end and apply a slight downward twist. The throttle will instantly snap closed.

I better add that people do asinine things. In no way am I responsible for your actions with the Flipmeister. Ride and act responsibly. You are all grown up and mature, I think. You put it on, you use it and it's your responsibility.

The first picture is the throttle before you put the FlipMeister on.

The second picture is the end of the handlebar with the bar end removed using a 4mm hex key.

The third picture is the unmodified washer and a washer slid over the mandrel that is inside the bar end.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,550
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,647
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,550
Last edited:
More pictures and descriptions

The first picture is a close up of how the washer slides over the mandrel and my swiss Army knife. The unmodified washer...50 cents is between them.

The second picture is the modified washer and again, my trusty Swiss Army knife. Note how I enlarged the existing hole so it will slide over the mandrel.

The third picture is how the washer fits the mandrel with the mandrel inserted in the bar end. You want a tight fit. It's okay for the washer to be a little flexed like it is in the picture. It will flatten out when you reattach the bar end.

Attachments

• MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 835
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 835
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
More pictures and descriptions...

Here is a better view of the assembly with the washer attached. You can see it's not flat. Don't be alarmed, it will be when assembled.

In the second picture, we are putting the bar end back on using a 4mm hex key. Tighten it down snugly but don't overtighten. It ain't a big bolt.

The third picture shows me using a 5mm hex key to slightly loosen the switch assembly so I can either slide it inwards loosening the tension on the twistgrip or outwards increasing the tension. Just read my instructions in the first post.

Attachments

• MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 765
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 794
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 829
Tomo:

I had to re-read the whole thing again. I had a couple of mis-spelled words so I corrected them. You know me.

Yes on the Cat litter. Those are all empty. I put my used motor oil in them and when I get around 10 or so full, they go to the recycler. I use quite a bit of motor oil with all the farm equipment. If I used Mobil Racing 4t in everything, I'd go broke. The full (of cat litter) ones are in the house in the storage room. It's nice to have lots of cats, right? Around 40 as of last count. They all have names too. No, they aren't allowed in the garage or my shop. My tires don't need wetted and my rims don't need oxidized.

The Tank on the R3 makes a nice table of sorts for pictures.

Took me a little time to get everything in the correct order.

I hope our Captains find this helpful. It's made riding the Rock for any long distance way more enjoyable.

Nice job !!! But what about that plastic switch-like thing..?

By the way, does any body know what the little rectangular looking black plastic switch like button right under the Red Power On/Off switch is all about...? Is Triumph working on some type of a cruise control that will go in that spot..? Or, are there any after market cruise control product whose switch goes in there...?

Thingie......

The little plastic rectangular thing is where the European headlights off switch goes. Not available in this country. Now that you installed the Flipmeister you need a set of my front brake line clamps.....look on my website.:D

Last edited:
Hey FLip,
How do you remove the mandrel? I started doing this mod but got stuck there. Couldn't find anything in the manual either.:confused:

Neil

Hey FLip,
How do you remove the mandrel? I started doing this mod but got stuck there. Couldn't find anything in the manual either.:confused:

Neil

Just wiggle it out of the bar weight. You don't really have to remove it at all. Enlarge the hole in the washer so if fits fairly tight over the mandrel and fit the whole shebang back up. The 'friction' is obtained by moving the switchgear housing back and forth on the bar.

Back