Installed GI Pro on new stock R3

Naw, she is in the "toy box".
A metal 3 sided shed.
you noticed the wifes red rock is covered up.
Just the hardley and my rock are exposed to the dust.
Yea, if it'd dry up enough to get down the gravel (dirt now)
drive and road to some blacktop it'd be nice.
The prototype housing I made was about 2" shorter.
I think I'll make another one that size.
As far as those little pin keepers go,
I had no difficulty getting the one out of the "male" end of the plug.
But that "female" one was just to deep, and I fought with it for quite awhile.
Finally just decided to push it out and it came pretty easily.
Like you said, long as it works, right.???;)

If I had to do it just one more time, I would break down and buy the tool made just for removing those pins. The right tool for the right job :rolleyes: .... with it you just line up with the pin and push, almost makes it too easy. But since I love poking myself in the finger while screaming the curse words from South Park's "Uncle F#@ker" song soooo much .... :p

Must not have broke the little keepers off,
cause they both "clicked" when they went into the GiPro plugs.
You are right, a "tool" that was designed for the job,
would have made it alot less stressful.
Especially if it was cheap.
I'd spend $5.00 on it, IF I had to do it again myself.

Those pesky little tabs are part of the old plug itself, located on the inside, and part of the slot the pins slip into. If you were to look into one of the empty slots from the open end of a plug, you could see them sticking out and kind of fouling the slot opening a little. As the pin slides into place from the back, they get pushed out of the way until they line up with an indention on the metal pin (the click you heard on the new GiPro plug). Kind of a "one-way" barb, so it cannot back-up and fall out the way it went in. They are just so **** small and way back in there far enough to make life a *****. Compounding the problem is me gettin' old and refusing to wear granny glasses on the end of my nose, so's I can see little-bitty ****.:cool:
Know what I mean Vern? :eek:

yea I do, I had my glasses on AND a flashlight goin',
to try an see the darn little things in the "female" half.

You gonna make it to the Spring RAA this year?
That'd be RAA 5.0 as opposed to the Fall Gathering which is RAA 5.5:D

Right now it doesnt look good. I'm just coming back to work after being fired for 4 months and my vacation choices are limited. This year I have to settle for whats left over. But you never know, stranger things have happened ... will just have to wait and see what developes.
The only rock solid plans I have for this year is the Ocean City Maryland Bike week in september.

Well I just made another little holder for my GiPro.
This ones 2" shorter and has a bottom,
also a couple of holes to run the wire through,
so it'll go behind the holder and under the handlebars.
Should clean the look up considerable.
I'll try to get pics and post em tomorrow.

Well I just made another little holder for my GiPro.
This ones 2" shorter and has a bottom,
also a couple of holes to run the wire through,
so it'll go behind the holder and under the handlebars.
Should clean the look up considerable.
I'll try to get pics and post em tomorrow.
Still sounds pretty elaborate ... did you consider putting it down between the gauges? The display fits nicely there with the chrome bolt cover removed. I just put down a couple layers of double side foam tape over the bolt heads and cut holes in the tape for the heads to make it more even and flat, then used the velcro on top of that and on the back of the display. It's out of the way and gives the appearance it was there all along.

Skippy I don't know how you got those things out of the plugs without breaking the wires off the pins ... must be magic or luck (or both) LOL. 'Cause they ARE held in the casing by little plastic tangs that really should be lifted while the pin is pushed out the back. The red weather-proofing probably could hold them in place if the tang was broken off, but it wasn't supposed to. (I guess it does now :p) Hey, if it works, it works huh? Hard to argue with success.
If you look inside the plug closely (us old guys will need some good glasses), you can see the end of the tang. They make a tool just for things like this, but a really tiny eyglass screwdriver or large sewing needle pushed between the plastic tang and the plug pin (from inside the plug, not the wire side) will release the pressure and allow you to push the pin out the back (wire side) of the plug (doing it like this will keep the tang from breaking off and make a click sound when pushing one back in. But I guess it's really only relevent if there is a need to put pins back in them in the future). I'm not too concerned about breaking the tangs, just the wire off the pin.
To clarify the color of the stripe wire, one the bike side (Male) it's the Pink/Black (Violet/Black according to the instructions, Triumph calls it Pink) and the solid black across from it on the sensor side (female). The other striped wire is Black/White ... leave it alone.
For the R3T with three wires ... the solid black wire in the instructions, is replaced by the solid Pink (Violet) on the sensor side (female), and use the Pink/black (Violet/Black) directly across from it on the bike side (Male) as the other one to be relocated.
Older year bikes could very well have different color wires, so the instructions have a couple of quick little tests to do in order to make sure you have chosen the correct wires. It's pretty fool proof. :rolleyes: hehe

Skip I love the bracket ... excellent visibility! No way to miss a shift now eh? :D

Where on earth do you have the bike parked? With the dirt on it and the company it keeps, she looks parked in the "project" lot. Surely you haven't put her out to pasture have you?

I just did the install today. It took me about two hours start to finish. About 1/2 of that time was spent on two things. 1) Getting those wires out of the old plug and 2) Getting the side cover back on, trying to get the holes lined up due to less space with the 2 additional plugs back there. Thanks to you and your trouble shooting I had no problem at all locating the GPS plug or determining which wires I should use!

In terms of getting the wires off of the existing plugs, the instructions suggested using either a small screwdriver or a needle to release them and take them out. As far as a screwdriver, forget it! I spent 20 minutes working with eyeglass screwdrivers and I got nothing but frustrated! When I decided to use a need, it took me about 30 seconds each. You just need to push it in between the metal contact and the inside of the plug and it releases pretty easy. I was surprised how difficult it was to get it all screwed back together when I was done. There are already several plugs back behind the side cover and adding two more made it tight. The tough part for me was lining up the screws between the side panel and the metal thing holding the plugs while, at the same time finding the holes.

The rest was a breeze partially because I've removed the seat and raised the tank about a dozen times in the last two months, so that part I can do in my sleep. I needed to use the learn method to get it to recognize the gears properly and setting the ATRE setting was easy. I took it for a spin when I was done to road test it. The gear indicator was flawless and easy to read. I liked having it because I am never really sure what gear I am in most of the time!

As far as performance goes, I was already running TORS, K & N Triples, and the 138hp Tuneboy tune, so I had already pretty much restored the feel of my '06 Classic on the R3T. I do think, though, that it has more punch in 4th and 5th since I installed the GIPRO. I know that felt more like my Classic because before I sold it, I took my daughter around the block on the new Harley Ultra Classic and my Rocket and showed her the difference between them at 70 when you hit the throttle. The Harley got louder and the Rocket was at 80 in a second. This feels more like that in 5th. :)

I have some pics I can post if anyone is still having difficulty finding the R3T GPS plug but it's pretty easy when you know you are looking for one with 3 wires and you need to remove the Pink on the female and the Black/Violet on the male. Gook luck actually removing the wires though!!

Back