Innovv K-2 Dash Cam

For those that are interested. I somehow ended up in contact with a company called VIOFO on the Dashcam forum @barbagris posted and will be beta testing their system. I haven't received the unit yet, but I'll let you know how it turns out when I get it.

Attachments

• IMG_2955.JPG
    IMG_2955.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 2
For those that are interested. I somehow ended up in contact with a company called VIOFO on the Dashcam forum @barbagris posted and will be beta testing their system. I haven't received the unit yet, but I'll let you know how it turns out when I get it.
Hmmm - maybe I should contact them too.

I have the Innovv K-2 on my Trophy and it does a good job of doing its primary job as a dashcam. It is not super high quality and is somewhat of a pain to get the videos off the device. Also, you have to remember to change the card on schedule or you will overwrite older video.

I have the Innovv K-2 on my Trophy and it does a good job of doing its primary job as a dashcam. It is not super high quality and is somewhat of a pain to get the videos off the device. Also, you have to remember to change the card on schedule or you will overwrite older video.

As long as it can read a plate number within 30 yards or so and I don't have to remember to keep it charged I'm good with it overwriting. :thumbsup:

I started installing the system yesterday...work got in the way. The system itself is pretty straight forward to install, but figuring out how to adapt the mounts to the Tiger has been somewhat of a challenge. No idea about video quality yet, but there is an app for your phone and you can always just pull the micro SD card and download straight to your computer. Should be taking it for a spin next week. I'll let you guys know how it turns out

Sure did Jay but like Morris said filming and riding gets old, but Morris my good man you have a trip of a lifetime planned so yes please do document it, as for gopros I would go with a gopro7 (black)and buy the microphone attachment that way you can control the camera with voice commands like turning on and off, taking and stopping video or pictures, plus the 7 can take a 512gb MicroSD card if you have a few of them plus a portable harddrive that you can down load the cards then give the drive to the guy and he will sort it all out.

you can buy spare batteries really cheeeeep for the gopros or wire it up hard.

@R3Tex Sounds like you've got another system in place, but for others reading through this post on this topic I second the Go Pro 7 (the 8 is soon to be released) because of the fantastic image stabilization it offers. In my experience they burn through battery time very quickly, so extra batteries are a must for extended riding. If you have your smartphone mounted (I don't) you can control the camera with their app and see what angle you're capturing, turn on/off, etc. A remote FOB is another option for turning on/off. I turn mine on manually when the riding is "special" or the scenery is amazing- otherwise, you will have to spend a ton of time previewing footage and editing.

The GoPro, and other cameras, will pick up a ton of wind noise. Hooking up an external mic that is located out of the wind, or has a "dead cat" protecting the mic- look it up is a solution. Another option is a dedicated sound recorder that you sync up in post production, for those of you who are really serious.

Someone mentioned a gimbal, but that will keep the camera level and it's the tilting of the camera as you make a turn that gives you the feeling of what it feels like riding. I've experimented with various mounting locations and have found that a mount on my leg (example here) gives the best perspective and conveys the lean angle, as your leg stays in alignment with the bike (you tend to adjust your head/helmet for the horizon as you lean into a turn). Also, the camera is closer to the ground which helps to convey speed.

The best footage is a combination of several cameras, or just switching the mount location around on a ride and then editing to make it look like it was all shot together.

Having said all this, I've yet to capture footage that conveys the ride or the scenery as experienced. It always looks like you're puttering along no matter how hard you're actually going at it and most footage is pretty dang boring. How many extended videos have you watched of someone riding? 30 seconds is probably all anyone will want to see, unless it is shot and edited professionally with multiple cameras and good sound.

Last edited:
Back