Info for US riders planning on going to RDU

Out of my range this time, going to see how this retirement thing changes my budget. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Wonder what it would cost for psychiatrist care after spending time with my mates in Oz?

Here's my current best guess on cost:

Ocean Freight: $1330 (~ $1000 USD)
Crating on this side: ?
Customs Agent: $1000 (~ $800 USD unless Ozrider's guy can handle that part too)
Paperwork to temporarily import the bike: ~ $500 USD?
Airfare: ~ $2000
Spending money: ~ $2000? (depends on how much you eat and where you stay)

Looks like my budget is running around $6k or so. Anyone with ideas on how to reduce it please let me know. If Nurse Ratchet makes the trip I am looking at closer to $8k. Not bad for the type of adventure this will no doubt turn out to be, but definitely something that needs to be planned for.

Thanks for doing all this, R3Tex.
I be laying in the weeds here soaking in the info.
I made several inquiries myself and it was like $1700 EACH way shipping and up to 6 weeks time from LA, 1200 miles away from me.

Out of my range this time, going to see how this retirement thing changes my budget. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Wonder what it would cost for psychiatrist care after spending time with my mates in Oz?
Don't worry about the psychiatrist bill just lay on the lounge and Mitch will tell you what's wrong with you.

Here's my current best guess on cost:

Ocean Freight: $1330 (~ $1000 USD)
Crating on this side: ?
Customs Agent: $1000 (~ $800 USD unless Ozrider's guy can handle that part too)
Paperwork to temporarily import the bike: ~ $500 USD?
Airfare: ~ $2000
Spending money: ~ $2000? (depends on how much you eat and where you stay)

Looks like my budget is running around $6k or so. Anyone with ideas on how to reduce it please let me know. If Nurse Ratchet makes the trip I am looking at closer to $8k. Not bad for the type of adventure this will no doubt turn out to be, but definitely something that needs to be planned for.

The price from my guy was all up AUD...... including all export/import docs, carnets, fees etc etc, the only other cost would be some sort of steel frame to hold the bike so it can be strapped into the container.
When someone wants to be the point of contact State side I'm happy to pass on Tonys contact details as it would be best to deal direct with him.

I spoke to him about sending our bikes to the States and its pretty much a no go as they are so into the EPA and emissions that it is a nightmare to do.... much easier to hire over there.

Looks like I wont make the RDU either as I have been told I have to attend a family gathering in New Zealand the same weekend and her indoors said "don't even think about it"....... must have been the look I gave her :evil:

Thanks for doing all this, R3Tex.
I be laying in the weeds here soaking in the info.
I made several inquiries myself and it was like $1700 EACH way shipping and up to 6 weeks time from LA, 1200 miles away from me.

anybody has any ideas on bike insurance once in OZ cause mine does not cover australia and coverage is definitively required

The price from my guy was all up AUD...... including all export/import docs, carnets, fees etc etc, the only other cost would be some sort of steel frame to hold the bike so it can be strapped into the container.

Well that certainly changes things!!! Happen to have a shop/shed, material and a welder. That puts my budget more in the $3k - $5k range...more better than the $8k - $10k range. Just to be clear the freight number your guy gave would get the bikes from LA (or some other west coast port) into Oz, imported, exported, and back to the states right?

Back