Ignition system update

Thedoctorr

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph rocket 3
Having recently had the dreaded ignition failure barrel burnout and rendering my rocket inoperable for 6 weeks until I finally got a new ignition fitted last week, since then a family member who used to work as a mechanic with one of the teams at the TT in the early 90s helped diagnose the electric issues that the rocket has on the ignition.
These 2 55 watt headlights along with the sidelight bulbs put 10 amps through our ignitions. No wonder they burnout.
I have recently contacted triumph CEO with no reply.
Having now changed the headlight bulbs for LED & sidelight bulbs to LED the total amps now going through the ignition is now only 1.9 amps a huge reduction of 8.1 amps.
Observations over the last few startups and runs the rocket starts first time , the idle that was not steady is now perfect.
This amount of draw from our headlights I’m presuming has had a major impact on the general electrical system and running of our bikes.
I’ll post a link to the LED headlight bulbs and sidelight bulbs later today.
Hope it helps some other rocket owners

Last edited:
Doubt you'll hear from Triumph as they solve issue years ago.. Triumph revised wiring in later Rockets to solve issue, they did a recall and added a relay so headlight current doesn't go thru switch. Eaten Beave sels a update kit and if you search te forum thee is information a DYI version.

Doubt you'll hear from Triumph as they solve issue years ago.. Triumph revised wiring in later Rockets to solve issue, they did a recall and added a relay so headlight current doesn't go thru switch. Eaten Beave sels a update kit and if you search te forum thee is information a DYI version.
Curious what year the new wiring was revised?
-MIG

Having recently had the dreaded ignition failure barrel burnout and rendering my rocket inoperable for 6 weeks until I finally got a new ignition fitted last week, since then a family member who used to work as a mechanic with one of the teams at the TT in the early 90s helped diagnose the electric issues that the rocket has on the ignition.
These 2 55 watt headlights along with the sidelight bulbs put 10 amps through our ignitions. No wonder they burnout.
I have recently contacted triumph CEO with no reply.
Having now changed the headlight bulbs for LED & sidelight bulbs to LED the total amps now going through the ignition is now only 1.9 amps a huge reduction of 8.1 amps.
Observations over the last few startups and runs the rocket starts first time , the idle that was not steady is now perfect.
This amount of draw from our headlights I’m presuming has had a major impact on the general electrical system and running of our bikes.
I’ll post a link to the LED headlight bulbs and sidelight bulbs later today.
Hope it helps some other rocket owners

if u r using the original head light buckets then your headlight will b to high on high beams and to low on low beams
never b able to set them properly.

You can resolder the white wire in the key barrel to repair it, but the problem will return if the cause is not attended to.
If you go that route you need to make sure you have a higher temp solder for electronics. Triumphs original failure was to use the incorrect solder for a joint that would get so hot and be exposed to vibration.

Last edited:
If you go that rought you need to make sure you have a higher temp solder for electronics. Triumphs original failure was to use the incorrect solder for a joint that would get so hot and be exposed to vibration.
Can you post the proper solder

Can you post the proper solder
If I knew it I would. I'd have to do some research on it. Just like welding rods there are lots of different solders . When I built HVAC systems we had to change the solder we used because regular solder you would use in a house would crack from vibration in shipping. We started using a solder with a high phosphorus content and no more leaks but the temp used to sweat the solder was way higher.

Back