daytonageo

.060 Over
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket
Just got an 05 Rocket and it starts and runs great. The problem is the lights will go off suddenly. Headlights and tail light both out. If I get under the tank and wiggle around the wires near the ignition switch which was relocated to the left panel, I can get them back on. Can the switch shut all lights and bike runs fine? Which wire may be the problem?

Probably the white wire in the ignition switch has developed a bad solder joint. It can be re-soldered, but the problem will return. The simplest and best solution is to get a keyless system from @DEcosse. The cheapest solution is probably in my signature link.

Well, since it's only the lights and not also the ignition, it wouldn't be the white wire - potentially the brown wire if any.

But perhaps the clue is in the relocated ignition, which must have used an extender cable. A 2008 would have the later type connector set - inspect those connector terminals for any sign of burning/arcing, or even just bad crimps.

Edit - Ooops - 2005 - early connector set; still same check applies

Last edited:
Well, since it's only the lights and not also the ignition, it wouldn't be the white wire - potentially the brown wire if any.

But perhaps the clue is in the relocated ignition, which must have used an extender cable. A 2008 would have the later type connector set - inspect those connector terminals for any sign of burning/arcing, or even just bad crimps.

Edit - Ooops - 2005 - early connector set; still same check applies

Thanks. Lots of burnt areas on two connectors. The guy did a real hack job extending the ignition switch. Ordered an Eastern Beaver relay kit, and I am going to rewire for a remote ignition. In I go!

Thanks. Lots of burnt areas on two connectors. The guy did a real hack job extending the ignition switch. Ordered an Eastern Beaver relay kit, and I am going to rewire for a remote ignition. In I go!
Just buy one from @DEcosse he makes a beautiful plug and play system

Not sure but I think Rivco is the only company in the usa that made a relocation kit for the rocket (old style ignition non updated harness plugs). And it came with a pig tail harness to span the distance. Have you checked them over yet?

Not sure but I think Rivco is the only company in the usa that made a relocation kit for the rocket (old style ignition non updated harness plugs). And it came with a pig tail harness to span the distance. Have you checked them over yet?

The Rivco extension is discontinued. After inspection, the ignition switch is suspect.

Back